This is a delicious gluten free banana bread – many of our readers say it’s the ‘best ever’ – but I’ll leave that up to you! It’s great fresh out of the oven, fresh over the next couple of days or toasted with butter or whipped coconut cream and berries. The nourishing ingredients, means it can actually be for breakfast, unlike the average banana bread being half refined sugar and white flour, leaving you hungry and craving more, more, more just minutes after the regretted indulgence, that you still want. Argh! Don’t you hate foods that make you feel like that? I remember that feeling from back in the days when eating was emotional, entwined with guilt and left me constantly feeling sick in the tummy, bloated or hungry. MOVING ON! There’s banana bread to be made 🙂
- Skip the nuts or replace with pepitas if you’re doing a school version
- If making a double batch to freeze a loaf for later, slice and pop little strips of baking paper in between each for easy separating. Works a treat and the strips can be wiped and re-used over and over!
More tips and ideas
- Why not make these as muffins, and press a couple of banana slices into the tops lightly for garnish? A perfect nut free school lunch box item!
- To stew berries, simply pop a cup of frozen berries with a tablespoon of maple or pinch of stevia into a saucepan on low, with 1/2 a vanilla pod or a half teaspoon of vanilla bean powder. Stew for 5-10 minutes on low. Done. Pop in a jar and use throughout the week (or day! 😉
- Do a decadent French toast – Yes. FRENCH TOAST. Crack an egg whisked with a splash of coconut milk in the egg. Pinch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg if you fancy, in there too. Then, cut slices of your banana loaf and dunk into the egg mixture and fry in a little coconut oil or butter. Garnish with your berries, condensed coconut milk or coconut whipped cream (or regular cream or yoghurt if you love and are fine with dairy). Voila! The ultimate treat for a very special brekkie!
Look at this baked beauty! Your loaf might be lighter if you’ve used a lighter buckwheat flour or subbed with rice flour etc.
Don’t forget to pin it for easy access.
Real treats. Happy Bodies.
Fancy more nourishing treats? For school or work there’s the delicious spiced fig and gingerbread or for special weekend treats there are my Chocolate coconut cupcakes with a simple chocolate icing, raw chocolate bar and upside down apple cake puddings have been known to hit the spot!
Hope your family loves it! If it ever makes it to them, after you’ve tasted it 😉
P.S Fancy getting SUPER confident on all things real food, cooking, food prep and the power of food for disease prevention? I’d love to invite you to check out our On-Demand (meaning you can start literally right this minute!) e course REAL FOOD ROCKSTARS. If you’re over the food overwhelm, confusion, guilty feelings, not being able to truly give up the junk, and want to know how and where to shop, what to do to get super confident in the kitchen, how to explain to others your whole food choices, what to eat and how best to build a strong body to ward off disease and feel vital and energetic, then maybe it’s time you jumped in! The door’s always open and the private support community is awesome. See you in there, Alexx x