Hello social impact team!
Thank you so much for having me to your off site day. It was such a great panel with you guys – albeit short! Please take a second to sign up to my newsletter because that’s how you’ll be notified of the next round of the Go Low Tox e course. What I spoke about last week is about 1/1000th of the resources I make available in the course: Life skills, learned once and reaping the rewards for the rest of your life. Cheers to that and look forward to seeing a few of you at the next round in October.
Here is my little black book summary from the talk and a few extra bits. Sorry for the delay. I had the best of intentions and then last week was a big week for my little team.
Remember to check out the podcast for origin stories from Dr Bronner, Who Gives a Crap, Ecostore and the rest! Lots of “great for us, great for the planet” inspo on there whether you’re just starting out thinking more consciously about your choices or you’re a seasoned pro!
A couple of my favourite safe places to buy non toxic beauty and lifestyle products online
- Nourished Life http://bit.ly/nourishedlifehomepage (Australia’s largest non toxic online beauty hub)
- BIOME http://bit.ly/BIOMEHOME (especially good for Australian focused brands)
- Emporio Organico (great for kitchenware like the awesome SolidTeknics especially as well as gifts and gut health supplements)
Disclosure: These are affiliate links used above. That means we get a small percentage of sales, should you make the most of Irene, Tracey and Kitsa’s inspirational online market places. Thank you for supporting our continued research and educational tool building, by shopping through these links.
A few other things I use and recommended in the Q&A if it helps!
- Air Oasis Air Filter – If you have a lot of tech at home or mould or other air compromise such as high density urban environment, it’s such a great investment. Julian will help you out. Lovely man!
- Castille Soap – the Dr Bronner’s brand is the one I recommend – Here are Lisa Bronner’s DIY tips that are super useful from washing your pet through to cleaning your car! http://www.lisabronner.com/category/general-tips/printable-sheets/
- Best self tan brand http://bit.ly/ECOTANNourishedLife (Tan Organic is on that site too and new, and it’s fabulous as well!)
- My favourite deodorants – for the hard core days Axilla http://bit.ly/axillanourishedlife and for every day Fresca http://bit.ly/FrescaUnscentedNL
- Stainless and glass drink bottle options http://bit.ly/BIOMEglassbottles
- Water filters – It’s a must (even if fluoride you fancy disputing whether it should be in there or not. We cover the research in the course.) at the very least filter out the chlorine and bacteria. A great range here http://bit.ly/NLwaterfilters – I use the counter top ceramic 12L fluoride free one. Love it. Just try and stay away from plastic parts if you can as the question of plastic is ‘time spent sitting in it’ when it comes to room temp liquid (where as heating / hot is a down right now as we all know.
Articles from my blog that might be of interest
- 6 Reasons you want to ditch the phthalates https://www.lowtoxlife.com/7-reasons-you-dont-want-a-phthalate-touching-you-too-often/
- Make your own natural air freshener http://www.lowtoxlife.com/make-your-own-natural-air-freshener
- Keep your cleaning toxin free with these 7 easy home made cleaning products http://www.lowtoxlife.com/keep-your-cleaning-toxin-free-with-these-7-easy-home-made-cleaning-products
- Teflon – You might not realise, but it’s everywhere! http://www.lowtoxlife.com/teflon
- 40 Second homemade body scrub http://www.lowtoxlife.com/40-second-home-made-coffee-body-scrub
- Natural Whipped Body Butter http://www.lowtoxlife.com/natural-whipped-body-butter
- My dental floss is made from WHAT? http://www.lowtoxlife.com/my-dental-floss-is-made-from-what
- Endocrine disruptive chemicals http://www.lowtoxlife.com/where-copycat-chemicals-lie-so-you-can-say-buh-bye
- Ditch the microbeads http://www.lowtoxlife.com/ditch-the-microbeads
TOP 4 things to look out for on labels for personal care to decide NO and avoid hormone disruptors
- Parabens of any kind – hormone disruptive.
- Fragrance (without an asterix that says made from essential oils) The phthalates are most often hiding in the ‘fragrance’ to make it last a super long time and these are hormone disruptive.
- Phenoxyethanol. Also endocrine disruptive.
- SLS / SLES – SLS is fine in cleaning products (wear gloves) but does NOT belong in personal care / skin contact situations. SLES is never fine, it’s a carcinogen.
I hope this has helped you on your way to better choices for YOUR health and for the planet! Enjoy clearing out all those ‘fake smells’ from your home environment – the air fresheners, scented candles & fabric softeners especially. Remember if you’re wondering where on earth to start? Start with your body lotion. It covers a lot of you and deserves to be the first to prioritise a natural substitute.