As I ate a savoury salad for breakfast yesterday, then leftover chocolate quinoa risotto for lunch and a fish and veg dinner, I thought to myself: The beautiful thing about whole, real foods, is you don’t need to eat certain things at certain times of day. You’re free from eating the way the TV told you to. I dare say the barrage of breakfast cereal marketing from the 50s to now, was what made us ‘brand’ certain foods for certain times of day. Before world war two, a typical European breakfast was slow-prepared sourdough, broth and veggies for many countries, for example. Or fried bread and dripping – I have an early memory of visiting my grandmother’s house in England in the early 80s and being given that for breakfast there. Somehow Cher’s song ‘If I could Turn Back Time” has just come into my head. I digress…
While most breakfast cereals are not worthy of any time of day, something that can indeed be, is a ‘treat’ done right in the form of ice cream. I dare say most people big or small would feel pretty happy to have ice cream for breakfast so I hope you enjoy mine!
This is so creamy and luscious and super revitalising. On those days where you just don’t feel like eggs, or bacon or soup or savoury for breakky, I love ‘meaty’ whip ups that I can chew, rather than smoothies, so this sort of a breakky bowl is perfect. I can’t wait to hear what you think.
Vegan one day, paleo the next… It’s all real food, so how about we ditch the labels and stress of rigidity and celebrate additive free, delicious real food. Hopefully one day all real foodies will get along and respect that there are many different ‘right’ ways to eat as long as the focus is local, ethical, organic where possible… A girl can dream!
Note: This recipe is super flexible. The banana and avocado make it creamy, but if you only had berries, don’t let it stop you. It will still be delicious and that coconut cream will help. Don’t have cinnamon or linseed? Doesn’t matter! Haven’t got around to getting the Raw Breakfast powder? Doesn’t matter… Prefer smoothies? Then just make it 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup coconut water and everything else the same, to make 4 smoothies for the family. Done.
Sometimes you just don’t feel like savoury, so enjoy your breakfast ice cream instead! Feel free to tag me on instagram @lowtoxlife if you make it!
Want to start thinking about “treats” a whole different way? READ HERE.
Fancy discovering a nourishing cupcake recipe on the off chance (twist your arm, right!?) Go HERE.
Enjoy as always and tag me on instagram @lowtoxlife so I can see how you served it!
Real Food. Happy Bodies.
Breakfast Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 large frozen bananas peel them before you freeze them and put into a container
- 2 cups frozen fresh blueberries (or organic frozen)
- 1 small frozen avocado peel before freezing
- 100 ml coconut cream that has been in the fridge
- 1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon*
- 1/4 cup cashews (do pumpkin seeds for nut free)
- 1 tbsp linseeds
- 1 heaped tbsp of a protein / superfoods / nuZest / Vital Greens type powder (I use Republica organic Breakfast mix)
- Blend your cashews and linseeds for 5 seconds (speed 7 Thermomix / MyCook)
- Add everything else into your blender and blend on high for 10 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Repeat 3 more times until super smooth, thick and creamy.
- Serve in bowls and top with whatever you’ve got going in the kitchen in the nuts, seeds, berry department
- I topped with a sprinkling of bee pollen, linseed, cashews, slivered almonds and blueberries.