Coconut sprinkles, are a brilliant batch cook up to use to add crunch to loads of things. Home made trail mix, yoghurt, ice cream, chia pudding, kefir, custards, or to even break off big chunks and have them as ‘cookies’.
I love these because you get your sweet fix with a cheeky sprinkle here and there from a quality natural sweetener like maple or rice syrup, and the healthy fats from the coconut keep your blood sugar levels stable.
Coconut Sprinkles Recipe
- 2 cups desiccated coconut (Preservative free)
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup with no fructose (or as in the Eat Fat Lose Fat book, maple syrup.)
- Take the desiccated coconut and mix the syrup in well to combine. Then spread out in one solid layer onto a stainless steel baking tray (please do not use teflon / non stick shenanigans. They’re toxic)
- Bake for 4-5 hours, depending on the oven on a really low heat of 100 Celcius / 210F, until the coconut has dried out and toasted a little (or a lot. I like to go 5 hours and achieve a darker brown sometimes for variation but it will depend on your oven) Pull out of the oven and scrape off the tray, breaking it up with your hands into chunks once it’s cool and store in an airtight container for whenever the mood strikes! You’ll get an even more crisp result if you get a chance to turn the batch over with a spatula half way through the cooking time.
- Variation: you can add a teaspoon of vanilla powder and a couple of pinches of cinnamon to this recipe for a spiced version. Delicious.
Once you’ve got these at hand, you can make the coconut shards here. TO DIE FOR!!!! (just quietly)
Enjoy the treats
Real Food. Happy Bodies.