I love this recipe. It is a fantastic crust, completely grain free, with nourishing butter and coconut and very low fructose.
As a thanks giving ode, I filled it with a spiced pumpkin & sweet potato custard, but you could easily fill with a ganache, a mousse, ice cream, coconut cream cheese or whatever you like. Note though, that it is a bake on it’s own with no filling, type of crust, so you must place something that’s ready to eat / set into it once it’s cooked. I use coconut syrup, or you could use rice malt syrup. The flavour of the coconut syrup is gorgeous in this crust, and it’s extremely nutritious, low GI and very low fructose.
Real Food. Happy Bodies.
Faux Pastry Crust Recipe
- 2 cups dessicated coconut (preservative free. get from a health store rather than supermarket, as the mainstream brands have 220 in them)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup coconut syrup (NUI brand is what I use from Organics on A Budget)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (optional)
- Pop the oven on 180 C / 350 F.
- Combine all of the above until well mixed.
- Pour out into a large quiche or pie tin / tray (metal definitely works best), and press all around the tray and up the edges at about 5mm thickness.
- Bake for 30 mins (might take a little less time in a fan forced oven, so keep an eye out!)
- Here it is with the pumpkin & sweet potato filling from this week. I’m loving my new camera! Buh Bye I phone photos for my site, forever more!