I have been asked 5 times this month already (it’s the 6th!) whether I have a carrot cake recipe – I took that as a sign and here she is – the Low Tox Life’s very own gluten and dairy free carrot cake. AND it’s delicious.
Bake it up as a two level cake or a huge single or as muffins with or without icing, or ice with a coconut cream cheese icing or a traditional cream cheese icing. Either way, its’ a delicious, lightly spiced, moist (gosh I hate that word but it is!!!) cake that just melts in the mouth with those delicious chunks of walnut through there. I hope you like as much as the little taste testers here just did this afternoon.
I didn’t ice it – didn’t have time and no coconut cream at the ready in the fridge! You can do the coconut cream “icing” like the one I do for my key lime pie, which is delicious – scroll down to ‘cream top’ in the link.
You could ice with a traditional cream cheese icing or my whipped caramel icing.
Or, like me you could use as a tea cake, simple and un-iced – no one seemed to have an issue with it not being iced. It’s practically all gone already. One went to a play date and the other got “started” at dessert tonight. I’ve got a full day tomorrow, so with a bit of luck Friday I’ll get to ice a slice for a picture!
However you tuck in, enjoy this soft and tasty cake and pop the way you ended up serving it on instagram if you’re there #lowtoxlife @lowtoxlife
Real Food. Happy Bodies
Gluten Free Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 pcs spring form cake pans 20-22cm. It’s big batch and makes two cakes to layer on top of each other with icing if you fancy.
- 100 g arrowroot / tapioca flour
- 260 g rice flour
- 1 cup or 250g rapadura sugar
- 3 flat tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon*
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg grated or ground
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp ground vanilla
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 200 g (1.5 cups) walnuts, rough chopped in half
- 200 g softened apple chunks (softened with a 1/4 cup of water in a pan for 10 minutes on high on the stove) OR 200g tinned pineapple if you wanted to go old school / 1 cup
- 4 pcs small carrots grated finely OR 2.5 cups loose packed OR 270g
- 250 ml Macadamia oil / 220g
- 110 ml olive oil / 100g (you can just do more macadamia oil to do one type, but more olive oil and it will taste of olive oil which if you’re fine with, be my guest)
Preheat oven to 180C (170C fan forced) 350F
Fine chop your carrots speed 6, 5 seconds. Remove and pop in a jug or bowl. Whip the sugar, oil and eggs together on Speed 7 for 30 seconds. Add everything else except the carrot and walnuts. Speed 6, 10 seconds, reverse speed 6, 5 seconds. Then manually stir in your carrot and walnuts and voila: You’re ready to pop in a tin.
Cream the eggs, oils and sugar together in a free standing mixer, with hand held beaters, blender or food processor
Add in the flours, spices, baking powder and salt and mix on high until JUST combined. No need to over mix it.
Stir through by hand, the soft apple / pineapple, chopped walnut and grated carrot until just combined.
Grease the tins or grease the parchment paper and line the tins with it.
Pop both tins side by side in the oven and bake for 30 mins or check with a skewer that they come out clean. If they’re still showing a little ‘mix’ on them, bake for another 4-5 minutes and skewer test again.
Pull out of the oven once done, and cool on a rack. It will look golden and delicious like in the image.