I’ve been meaning to do a chocolate cookie recipe for a while now that was egg and dairy free as well as gluten free, because so many peeps asked about the therapeutic chocolate chip cookies and variations which are possible but I wanted to make something really easy rather than fiddling with complicated substitutions for you. I was sensing in my soul it was time for some chocolate around here so I had a bit of a play and just ran with it. I hope you enjoy these cookies as we have. Simple, very chocolatey (you could do half carob / half chocolate) and a little moreish.
What You’ll Need – makes 20
1 cup hazelnut meal
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/3 rice malt syrup
4 tbsp ground flax meal
4 tbsp cocoa powder
Optional – tspn vanilla bean powder
Optional – chocolate chip(s) to put in the centre of each cookie
What To Do
- Preheat your oven to 180 and prepare a baking tray with a layer of parchment paper on the tray
- Grab all your ingredients
- Mix them all up. If the oil is separating away from the gooey ball, add another tbsp flaxseeds in.
- Roll into small balls and place on a baking tray pressing down gently with two fingers to flatten a little.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees fan forced.
- Take out of oven and cool on rack until full cool.
Tips! Make sure you let them cool down completely before you eat them because they will fall apart if you try to touch them when they’re warm. You can swap coconut oil with butter if you prefer and you can also swap the hazelnut meal for almond meal if you want a more subtle flavour. If you want to go nut free, you can use ground pepitas but use 3/4 cup of pepita meal and 1/4 tapioca flour so they stick together!
And you’ll laugh but I didn’t have any left to take a picture of so this little trial cooling cookie is it. I propped up the little cookie onto a spatula with a narrow opened window for maximum cooling speed to see if they were ready. They were.
And there you have it. They’re super easy to rustle up and if you make them I’d love to see over on instagram @lowtoxlife or #lowtoxlife.
Real Food. Happy Bodies