I love adding lemon zest to a dairy free, coconut custard. It cuts the richness of the coconut and makes is delicious and fresh. We’ve had to cut all dairy, including raw milk and butter out of the little man’s diet at the moment, healing his gut after finding a tricky parasite, so while we weren’t huge dairy eaters already, unless you count the odd farmhouse cheese, but it’s funny how cutting the butter and odd bit of raw milk out has swung me into withdrawal symptoms. This custard does MORE than help for anyone that misses a good, rich custard. Welcome back to happy town and I hope you enjoy it.
Do you love custard? A particular flavour?
Enjoy this one and come back & tell me how you went!
Lemony Coconut Custard Recipe
- 6 eggs (4 yolks, 2 whole eggs)
- 1-2 vanilla pods , split and scraped (or 1 heaped teaspoon vanilla bean powder)
- 60 g rapidura sugar OR 80g rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (rice malt syrup for fructose free)
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour (or preservative free arrowroot or non GM corn flour)
- 600 g coconut cream
- zest of 1 lemon (or lime)
For THERMOMIX users
- Pop all in your TM and cook for 7 minutes, speed 4, 80C. Once done, blend for 4 seconds on speed 6 and pour out straight away to prevent furthur cooking.
- Heat coconut cream, lemon zest and vanilla in saucepan until just boiled.
- While that’s heating up, whisky your yolks and whole eggs, tapioca & sweetener together until well combined.
- Then, very little by little, pour your hot coconut cream mixture into the egg / sugar bowl. Imperative to whisk as you go, to avoid cooking the eggs in this step.
- Now, pour the whole mixture back into saucepan on medium heat and stir continuously until you feel it thicken. Pour into your bowl and let it cool in fridge, or serve warm with a pudding or as a coconut vanilla ‘soup’ with strawberries for an indulgent treat your family will kiss your feet over!
- That's it! Here I've served it with crunchy, nutty, coconutty sprinkles that are an absolute cinch to make.