As winter draws to a close here in Sydney, I feel my rich soup days are soon to be replaced with lighter, brighter foods – such is the way of the seasons and I just love those changes through the year and seeing new things pop up at the markets! If you’re not a market goer yet, it really does take you from saying to yourself ‘we need tomatoes can you grab some’ to ‘look at all these different tomatoes, which ones should we try?”.
This Bean Soup is an easy one. Those soup mix legume packets at the health store are rather cheap too, making this a great, economical lil’ number, even being organic. Beware the short cuts of tinned beans – often from BPA lined cans and packed with anti-nutrient phytic acid, you’re best to get soaking the day before to break down that acid and other inhibitors, and get the good stuff out of them, otherwise what’s the point, really? Filling makes you ill. Nourishing makes you flourish – Just came up with that then! I love it. And… digression, which leads me back to the recipe!
Enjoy the comforting flavour of this soup and when you make it, remember to send it through or post it on my facebook page here – you’ll inspire others to cook and that’s just awesome!
Real Food. Happy Bodies
Luscious Bean Soup Recipe
- 1.5 cups soup mix beans /lentils, soaked from day before in a bowl of water with a spoonful of yoghurt or homemade whey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, ghee or butter
- 1 big red onion (brown is just fine, but I love the sweetness from the red one!)
- 1 heaped tsp celtic sea salt
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch parsley
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 litre chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 500 ml water (if cooking beans in the soup as you go. if you’ve cooked them separately, just drain and add and the 1 litre of stock will be enough)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes or 4 fresh roma tomatoes, chopped
- 100 ml coconut cream (or sour cream or cream, but add these right at the end to avoid splitting)
- 1 handful chopped coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric paste
- 2 small zucchinis, fine cubed
Chop your onions, garlic, herbs to have ready
Heat your large saucepan with the oil and onions until nice and soft. Low-Medium heat is best. Then add your turmeric paste, beans / soup mix, garlic and fry for a minute.
Add tomatoes. Stir through and fry for a minute
Add half the chopped parsley and coriander along with the thyme, garlic, sea salt and stock, turning your heat high to get it to the boil. If your beans were already cooked, no need to add the 500ml water. If they weren’t, add that now and add a little more in necessary later on. Your soup should be thick and luscious & that 1.5cup of beans will expand in soaking and cooking to be more like 2.5 cups.
Once on a boil, turn down. Simmer with the lid on for an hour and a half, or half an hour if your beans were already cooked. Just before serving, pop your zucchini in. Add your coconut cream / sour cream / cream off the heat and stir through and serve. Top with the remaining fresh herbs & if you’re feeling adventurous, some crumbled goat’s feta is divine with this!