Hot Chocolate. Don’t you just love it? The velvety comfort in a mug you could just hug!
Problem is, it’s usually made in most cafes with uber processed supermarket milks, processed cocoa and white sugar – we’re not really scoring any points there on the nourishment front at all!
So, here’s a 2 minute nourishing hot chocolate for you to have at home, packed with ingredients our bodies understand, so it’s not just a treat, it’s actually a super-chocolate! If you’re under the weather, add a teaspoon or two of coconut oil to boost your immune system.
Luxury Winter Defence Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 150 ml your favourite milk so a nut milk such as almond or cashew, raw milk (northern hemisphere or wherever you can find it) or super good quality whole milk, preferably organic and unhomogenised.
- 60 ml coconut cream (Honest to Goodness is a great easy to find brand in Health shops or through their site, without BPA lined tins and free from any added thickeners or water – yay!)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon*
- 2 tsp cocoa powder (Power Superfoods raw cacao is fabulous!)
- 2 tsp rice syrup or grade b Organic Maple syrup, or stevia to taste if you’re a completely sugar free bunny!
- a little grated fresh turmeric for added defence. OPTIONAL
Stir your ground cinnamon and cacao powder into a tablespoon or two worth of boiling hot water in your pan first.
Then add everything else, pop the heat on medium, stir a couple of times and eagerly await your comfort in about 3 minutes time! As soon as you see a simmer, you’re ready. Do not boil it.
THERMOMIX NOTE: You could make your almond milk (3 cups water to 1.5 cups almonds) and pour all out of bowl. Rinse any mealy bits of nut out of the bowl. Strain milk back in and heat everything all together for 3-4 minutes, speed 2 on 100C temp.
If you don’t have raw cacao but you do have cocoa / drinking chocolate, most of them have around 25% sugar, so you’ll not need to add any sweetness. Just swap to sugar free cacao or dutch processed cocoa powder, next time you’re stocking up)