I love condiments and lots of little tastes and bowls at the table. This might have something to do with the multicultural vibes of my upbringing with holidays visiting France and Mauritius to see family growing up. In Mauritius we eat generally a very creole lunch with at least 5 things on the plate and a chutney or paste or 3 on the side. This chutney came about because my auntie has a mango tree and while visiting, it’s in season. This means you get to that point of eating something you love so much that you actually get sick of it. Heaven forbid this happens with mangos so we’ve been making mango salad with pineapple, mango salad with basil, mango icy poles, mango mousse, mango coconut sorbet… you get the picture. Trying to keep it exciting!
I hope you enjoy this tasty little offering for the next time you make a ploughman’s plate style lunch or a curry. It would even be a delicious thing to serve through a big leafy salad or with poached chicken breast or bbq lamb.
Winter variation – PEARS OR APPLES are great too!
Replace the mango component with apples or pears.
Add a star anise to the recipe and a tablespoon of coriander root / stalks.
Add 2 extra tablespoons of your preferred syrup.
You will also need to simmer this with the lid on for 10 minutes and then the lid off for 10-15 minutes until the fruit is just tender. It will be a delicious, chunky chutney and having made the pear variation, it is certainly not a poor cousin to the original mango, no siree!
Let me know how you enjoy it by popping back and leaving a comment – It lets me know you guys are out there!
Mango Curry Chilli Chutney Recipe
- 2 clean 300-400ml sized jars for decanting
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple /honey / rice malt syrup of your choice.
- 1 medium brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium purple onion, thinly sliced
- 4 mangos, rough chopped into 1cm ish sized dice
- 1 inch squared fresh ginger chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, squished and chopped fine
- 1 heaped tsp curry powder / masala blend ( (or 1/2 tsp ground coriander and 1/4 turmeric, 1/4 fennugreek)
- 1/2 small green chili or two pinches chilli flakes (optional but the kick is lovely!)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 heaped tsp dulse flakes optional mineral boost
- Sautée onions for 5 minutes in oil or ghee until soft and golden, then add everything but the mangoes.
- After 15 minutes on a low / med simmer, add mangoes for 5 minutes at the end. Mix well.
- Cool and decant into jars and pop in fridge up to a month, or freeze half up to 6 months so you have some for the mango off season too!
- That’s it. It will last a month in the fridge if not more.
- Let me know how you go! I’m totally addicted.