Could these be any easier? No. Shish kebabs are the easiest thing to make and a great way to get kids in on the action when it comes to choosing what’s going to be on their sticks and threading the bits on with you! I always feel like if kids are part of the cooking process, then they’ll be more likely to try something they might otherwise not be a fan of. Have you found that?
TIP: You could also do pure veggie kebabs and serve with a slow cooked lamb shoulder or my pesto & caramelised onion quinoa. for a full vego option.
Real Food. Healthy Bodies. Hope you love them!
Marinated Shish Kebabs Recipe
- 600 g diced meat - beef, lamb, pork or chicken (chicken thigh recommended. Dry breast shish kebabs just aren’t nice to eat!)
- 2 handfuls flat leaf parsley
- 2 handfuls coriander (or mint)
- 2 tsp mixed spices (you could do curry, thai, herbes de provence… mix it up each time to make!)
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt (or other natural salt of your choosing)
- 1/4 cup macadamia oil (or olive if you can’t get macadamia)
- assorted sliced veggies in wheels that will all cook same time – zucchini, tomatoes, fennel, mushrooms, red capsicum
Best is to prepare the meat and marinate overnight or all day for tenderness
Blitz your herbs, oil, salt and spices in a food processor / mortar and pestle.
Then, cut all your veggies in 1/2 cm thick chunks / slices etc
Then grab your skewers and wet them thoroughly to ensure they don’t char under the grill.
Then thread your meat and veggies on, alternating patterns / making a few different types.
Grill on med / high for 5 minutes a side.
Serve with a salad or mash or both!
Mix a little grated cucumber and mint into yoghurt for a quick ‘dippy sauce’ to accompany if you fancy.
Simple eating at its finest and what’s great about this is you can meal plan and prep the marinate a day or two in advance, so it’s a matter of a quick threading on of the kebabs and under the grill while you can focus on a quick salad to go with. Dinner in 15 minutes, no probs and easy leftover lunch the next day to boot!