There’s something that a little dumpling can make us feel, that makes any cold, wet weather turn into delighting at the cosiness of it all, don’t you think?
You can cut away breast meat and thigh meat from a couple of chooks for the ‘minced chicken’ and save a pretty penny, given organic mince is usually around $30-35 per kilo, whereas whole organic birds are around $10-$15 a kilo – and then you’ve got the rest to roast and then use the carcasses for stock. Winner!
Enjoy this & remember of course to double your efforts, freeze or morph into chicken burgers a couple of days later, by adding another tablespoon of flour to the mixture and then panfrying in coconut oil, butter or ghee (instructions at the bottom).
Organic Chicken Dumpling Soup Recipe
- 750 g organic chicken mince, or chicken meat ready to mince.
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 heaped tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small purple onion, super finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 3 anchovies, squished to a paste (optional. they don’t make it taste fishy. do not panic! they amp the deliciousness. promise! easily skip if you’ve got an allergy of course though!)
- 2 tsp capers, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt
The broth with veggies
- 1.5 litre high quality chicken stock you can read more about the importance of stock here.
- 1 small brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or fine chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or macadamia oil
- 1 zucchini, chopped into 1cm cubes or easy wheels
- 1` carrot, chopped into 1cm cubes or easy wheels
- 2 stalks spring onion, finely chopped (optional)
- celtic sea salt to taste
For the dumplings
- You could chop everything tirelessly and mix by hand. OR… Pop it all in a blitzer / food processor and take 10 seconds to combine. Choice is yours.
- Once well combined, put on some gloves and ball them roughly into 1.5 inch squared blobs and have them ready on a plate to pop into the broth in a few minutes. It’s quite a wet mixture. Don’t panic. The hot liquid will set them by poaching them.
For the broth with veggies
- Fry the onion in oil until lightly browned, add garlic then carrots then chicken stock and bring to boil. Once boiling, pop in your dumplings, and leave the little blobs for 5 minutes undisturbed until they are fully whitened. Then add your zucchini and cook for a further 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and pop in your corn and spring onions. Salt to taste. You are done.
- Serve either as is, or with a little brown rice, quinoa or your favourite sourdough. It is heaven in a bowl of awesomeness and healing!
Pictured here done as the dumpling soup and then the next day as the patties with zucchini and goat’s fetta, reinvented, adding a further tablespoon of rice / coconut flour to the wet dumpling mix to make it firm enough for patties – For a bit of crunch before frying, dust in Tapioca flour or potato flour.
As the French say, the key to exciting home food is NEVER to have the same meal in the same week. Not so difficult if you get into a bit or trickery and morphing like this, is it?
As always, if you love something, let me know here or tag me if you’re an instagrammer @lowtoxlife
Real food. Happy Bodies.