It sounds crazy but it’s true. And it’s the easiest 1 minute whip up ever. This was born just this afternoon, as I thought about a little treat to make for the 200 of us who just finished “30 days clean” at my gym Flow Athletic – a month’s program of moving our bodies in ways we enjoy with a minimum of 3 workouts a week, ditching everything processed which for some people is a first and very big step, then getting rid of all the uppers and downers – coffee, chocolate, sugar except fruit and alcohol.
You learn a lot about yourself. I wrote a little about craving cutting HERE a couple of weeks ago. Me? Dark chocolate and the odd red wine was the stuff I lost out of my life for 30 days so you might think ‘well that’s not really a big change, must have been easy for you!’. That’s the thing. It wasn’t. I was completely addicted to about 4-8 squares of 85% chocolate every day. Turns out, given I’m pretty sensitive to caffeine thus not really drinking coffee much, that those few squares were keeping me going into the night as I worked. Without them, I displayed a tiredness past 11pm that I couldn’t quite comprehend. I was hopeless all of a sudden and couldn’t stay up late. Very, very interesting. So, basically, chocolate is performance enhancing for me and an artificial state of awakeness. From now on, I have vowed with myself to eat less of it, and just switch the lights off earlier. I must. We all must. Bed before midnight – a good couple of hours before being ideal. It is gold for the endocrine system and given I have borderline hyperthyroidism and PCOS, well, if the shoe fits… so does the solution.
So ironically now, I’m sharing a chocolate recipe with you! This is something I do each time we finish 30 days clean Feb / August, to celebrate a little treat with the FLOW community once we finish the challenge as a little congrats – I’m the food inspiration coach during the challenge and am so, so proud of this group for their achievements, taking new info on board, and cooking up a healthy storm, that it’s a nice way to end things until next time.
Enjoy! Hashtag #chocolatepizza or me @lowtoxlife when you make it. Feel free to change up the toppings. It’s super adaptable.
Peruvian Chilli Chocolate Scorched Nut Pizza Recipe
- 60 ml melted coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder (Dutch processed) or raw cacao – whichever you prefer or have and however intense you like it
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup or rice malt syrup if avoiding fructose (if using honey, you can do with just 1 tbsp)
- 1 handful scorched nuts (you can use raw or dehydrated of course, but super well toasted nuts make this taste just gorgeous)
- 1 tbsp bee pollen (optional)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/6 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Line a round cake tray or dish with parchment paper
- Mix oil, cocoa, syrup, salt and vanilla in little bowl until well combined
- Pour onto parchment
- Chop nuts roughly and sprinkle over
- Sprinkle bee pollen and chili if using
- Refrigerate if you can wait half an hour
- Freeze if you must have chocolate in 15 minutes
- You're done