Listened and fancy joining GO Low Tox? JOIN HERE: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/go-low-tox/
Now onto the show…
Every day people decide one day to explore what it might mean to ditch the nasty stuff and lower their toxic load across day to day life. I started 12 years ago and it was hard to find all the information and much of what was to be swapped didn’t perform well and felt like a poor cousin to my high performance ‘convenient’ cleaners and personal care products. Over time, environmental consciousness has exploded and so many beautiful businesses are producing low tox everything from mattresses to moisturiser, coffee cups to sunscreen and it’s getting what seems to be easier – until you realise that labelling loopholes allow for a lot of grey area and high tox ingredients, to be inside tubes and pots that say “natural” and “organic” on the front. I created GO LOW TOX to be a global resource to learn the low tox vocabulary, get across the latest research and feel that you know exactly what to swap to and where to get it and in today’s show, I wanted to invite a few past students to chat about how their journey has been in going low tox – the stress and confusion turned empowerment when like minded people get together and learn and grow together. I hope you enjoy their stories. Every day people are going to change the world and these are three short stories to prove it.
Want to get the nasties out of your day-to-day life? Confused by endless internet information, mixed messages and pseudo ‘clean’ products and wondering how to make a great choice?
October will mark the 9th LIVE round of the GO LOW TOX e-course done by over 2000 happy low toxers all over the world! Register for the course HERE.
Here’s a little snapshot of the juicy bits in today’s episode…
- Before doing the course, Claire was concerned about the amount of chemicals she was exposed to without knowing what to do or where to look.
- She found the programme to be very comprehensive, she felt supported throughout the course and liked the fact that she was empowered to look things up for herself. She started by changing her skincare and makeup and was surprised how much choice she found for natural cosmetics. She uses much fewer products now but feels fantastic about using them. She adopted the “phase out don’t freak out” motto throughout the course to implement changes slowly but steadily.
- Claire also decided to focus on what she could do instead of being panicked with what she couldn’t do. She now tries to buy from ethical companies mainly, deciding to use her buying power to make a difference. She feels a lot more discerning in what she buys and saves money as a result of more careful choices.
- Jess classified herself as a greenie before doing the course and realised while she did the course that there were a lot of products she thought to be “natural” that weren’t at all. She found the course to be a game-changer. She liked the fact that the course was simple and easy to understand, not using jargon and providing information in stages. She appreciated the various action steps that were suggested and the brand recommendations to make swaps easy. She loved getting in-depth information from experts through the various interviews.
- Jess was surprised how much better she felt once she started ditching products containing phthalates around the house. She hadn’t realised how much of these products she had lying around. She was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to access beautiful, natural products and how much choice there is. Jess is also becoming more and more confident having conversations with people and asking questions or investigating the content of products before buying them.
- Jess stays positive by focusing on the small changes she can make. She overall feels less toxic and a lot healthier since she started this journey. She found it easy to fit the course in her schedule and liked the fact that she could access it at her own pace.
- Susan is another Go Low Tox alumni who believes in the course so passionately that she ended up gifting it to a lot of people around her. Before doing the course, she was trying to make more informed choices about her purchases but was finding it hard to know which product claims to believe. At first she felt a little overwhelmed to realise how much toxicity she had surrounded herself with over the years. She liked the suggestions to wait until things ran out before making changes as she felt it got a lot of pressure off the implementation of changes.
- She still has a long list of things to change, but she approaches it as a journey and celebrates the little swaps she makes every time. Although she started the course thinking it was just going to be about swapping a few products here and there, she realised pretty quickly that her mindset was shifting quite radically. She pretty much changed the way she looked at consumption realising she didn’t have to buy a lot of the things she used to buy. It made her crave a simpler lifestyle.
- She found that there was a bit of trial and error at first when she decided to change her beauty and household products in order to find the alternatives that she liked best. She loved the Facebook group and the product suggestions and reviews she found there, she thought it was a very valuable tool to navigate through the choice of natural alternatives.
And here is the link to join us for this round:
If you can’t wait to join the next round of GO LOW TOX e-course, register HERE
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world. (To do this from your phone, you can’t be ‘in the show list’ – go to the podcast search function and type low tox life, and then click on the show graphic tile, NOT an individual show link and on the next screen click ‘review’. Annoyingly roundabout, but hey. I figured I may as well help you out if you’re going to take the time to leave a review!)
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet