Now onto the show…
Here’s a little snapshot of the goodies in today’s episode…
- Early in Paul’s discoveries, he focussed on the Aluminium Foil wastage – Paul discovered Aluminium made up 50% of the waste bin contents across Australia, equating to just over 1 million kg of foil going to landfill yearly just from hair salons in Australia (and another 45 million kg in the US, and 78 million kg in Europe… wow!!!!) …and that’s where it all began for Paul!
- Hair makes up 11% of the wastage in salons in Australia
- Paul is somewhat responsible for the production of the first biodegradable gloves – the non degradable version takes around 200 years to degrade – ouch – as opposed to around 60 days (in the soil) for the bio degradable ones. They’re made from a synthetic latex – and the great news is these can be purchased for home use too – check it out HERE.
- Sustainable Salons collect all the aluminium from salons throughout Australia, they cash this in and donate the funds to OzHarvest – feeding over 2000 homeless people every month.
- How big should your aluminium foil balls be to be used for recycling? Ideally the size of a tennis ball – so crush it / save it and when it’s that size, toss it in the recycling bin!
- What can be done with the hair waste? Hair clippings are put into a ‘hair bin’ which is then used for hair booms (pic below) – read about them HERE.
THIS WEEK’S LIVE HAPPIER, HEALTHIER CHALLENGE: Tell your salon about Sustainable Hair Salons. Tell them you love how sustainable salons dramatically reduces waste recycling 95% of a salon’s waste, and I’d so love to say that you guys were doing that and send people here because of it!
Here are all the important links:
http://www.sustainablesalons.com.au/#home – if you own or work for a salon – you can register your interest on their website
Those gloves Paul mentioned can be found HERE
Sustainable Salons FB page
Check out the ‘How big are your balls?’ campaign HERE
Sustainable Salons Instagram – @sustainablesalonsanz
Sustainable Salons BLOG
Read their story HERE
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world. (To do this from your phone, you can’t be ‘in the show list’ – go to the podcast search function and type low tox life, and then click on the show and click ‘review’. Annoyingly tricky but hey. I figured I may as well help you out if you’re going to take the time to leave a review!)
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet