In Show #4 of the Low Tox Life Podcast, I talk to a dear friend and one of the smartest, most committed people I know to her work and helping others, Tabitha McIntosh. She’s a naturopath, clinical nutritionist, and owner / founder of the clinic Awaken Your Health in Sydney (although she does skype consults when needed).
If you want to click through to I Tunes from here to check it out GO HERE
If you want to listen on your android, download Stitcher or click through HERE or you can buy the Pocket Cast App for android.
These are the questions I asked
- To the uninitiated, can you talk about how pesticides came to be used, who’s making them?
- How can we tell they’re on our food? Is there a way? Does EVERYONE who’s non organic use them?
- What are some of the ingredients that make up a common pesticide? (cover metals, hormone disruptors, gut disruptors principally unless you want to really go big on elaborating. We’ll have 50mins)
- What is the health implication of pesticides? Is it different for different ones?
- What is the implication on bee population or other ecology? (maybe reference toxic baby? I’ll be linking that in the show notes)
- What are the major crops that pesticides are used in (GMOs and leafies. I’m interviewing a sustainable farmer and GMO researcher from the US so no need to elaborate on the GMO front other than the basic ‘GMOs are a seed technology that allows plant to withstand higher levels of pesticide or have internal etc thus more pesticides in GM agriculture as it stands today)
- What can we do if we’re on a budget to make organics more affordable? We can discuss together there as I’ll give tips as well as your tips.
- Is there anything that can minimise pesticide residue when we buy non organic produce?
- Is there anything we can do to detox from pesticides from our past?
These are some extra resources and mentions
- Silent Spring – Rachel Carson, Environmentalist in the 60s who first alerted the world to the dangers of pesticides on mass scale.
- Great New York Times article on Rachel’s instigation of the environmental movement
- WEIRD DDT marketing – the early generation of pesticide found to be extremely harmful – OH. MY. GOSH, right? And the continuing use and published findings of the dangers of DDT in infant deaths here in the New Scientist. Buh-bye nasty stuff.
- The EWG “Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen” – Downloadable guide.
- Alexx’s 10 favourite Organic Savings TIPS from the blog.
- Cracking cruciferous Soup, Nutrient rich pesto two great and very green recipes and my EPIC SALAD veggie inspiration post to help you keep salads fun and exciting.
- Prevention USA’s got a brilliant 25 detox smoothie round up HERE and a favourite of mine is to simply pop a handful of parsley and a handful of coriander in the blender with 1/2 cup each of coconut water and water and the juice of a lime – So refreshing and cleansing, and that coriander in there assisting with heavy metal chelating which is perfect for the task at hand!
- Veggie box delivery – Got a good one where you live? Share in the comments.
My top action for you to take? Swap 5 product items you have on high rotation to organic. That’s it. That’s all you need to do to make a brilliant and big chunky first step towards lowering your pesticide load.
I hope you enjoyed the show! Want to share your fresh produce focused detox smoothie pics online? Or a trip to the market inspired by today’s chat? Be sure to tag @Alexx_Stuart and hashtag #lowtoxlife on instagram, twitter or snapchat.
Don’t forget to hit subscribe and write a review – It helps the podcast thrive and grow if I Tunes shares it far and wide.
Low Tox. Happy People. Happy Planet