This month’s show sponsor is also our guest speaker, Cole Clayton from Happy Kids Klinic!
Cole Clayton is such a cool, down to earth guy, you can really see why he has so much success in his work with kids. A guy with a passion for bringing the best out of kids – please have a read through the testimonials from the kids themselves on the Happy Kids Klinic website – they are very powerful. Cole has generously offered all our listeners today something very special, we talk about oral myology in today’s interview which covers a whole host of things, including removing dark bags under kids eyes, opening up their nasal passages, stopping mouth breathing, etc. Cole has a really cool little $19 download available on his website, called Larry the Lip seal, which contains a bunch of exercises to correct things like minor tongue ties, jaw mal-alignment and mouth breathing. For you guys it will be free when you book a free 15 minute consult with Cole, which is just a casual chat to see whether his services might be useful for you / your child. By the end of today’s show you’ll have a much clearer idea about how this might look for you or your little one.
Check out their website – there’s a wealth of info, helpful tips, advice and resources – it’s all about helping our kids thrive as best as they can. I hope you enjoy the chat today – and make sure you take advantage of that offer for the free MP3, it’s absolutely worth it!
Now onto the show…
In this week’s show, I chat to Cole Clayton, who after career searching for much of his 20s, he tuned into his sadness for the state of health of so many kids today and became a health coach, specialising in kids. His passion for helping kids Thrive matches my own but his approach is different and it was wonderful to chat to him about his passion for Oral Myology and helping mouth breathing kids correct the reasons they’re mouth breathing (not having mouth closed as default position) and the impact that sleeping with your mouth closed can have on energy, brain function, behaviour, sinus health and more. If you’re a parent or simply interested in out of the box therapies and their impact, this is definitely a show you’ll enjoy – not to mention getting to know this easy going, passionate man on a quest for better children’s health.
Here’s a little snapshot of the goodies in today’s episode…
– What is oral myology?
– Benefits of oral myology and fixing dark bags under kids eyes, mouth breathing and clearing nasal passages
– Helps kids transition through their growing periods efficiently
– Tips for kids who aren’t great at sleeping and have issues with concentration
– Testimonials from the kids themselves rather than adults
– The importance of jaw alignment with breathing
– The connection between breathe, sleep and consequence energy
– Focus on fixing the problems early to get kids in good habits before their breathing problems start effecting them as adults
– The importance of breathing through your nose
– Warning signs of issues like thumb, finger sucking, snoring and teeth issues due to saliva drying on the teeth in mouth breathers
– Other warning signs can be kids having difficulty going to sleep and fighting a lot
– Tips to get kids to commit to good practices rather than just nagging them all the time
– In some practices you can actually see physical differences in the jaw of the child as they do the therapy
– Thumb and dummy sucking is a bigger issue than most parents realise as it trains the tongue to sit in an incorrect position
– Signs in infants can include being a fussy or slow eater
– Ability to concentrate is one of the most valuable rewards from oral myology work
– Can get kids that have been branded as ‘lazy’ back on track
THIS WEEK’S LIVE HAPPIER, HEALTHIER CHALLENGE: Do an audit on the breathing habits of your family. Any mouth breathers? Any snorers? Anyone who is inexplicably distracted all the time? If there are any problem areas, get them sorted.
Here are all the important links:
Face gym program – check out these before and after pics that show what is possible with 8 weeks of Face gym:
The paper Cole refers to in his chat with Alexx is “Zelano et al, Nasal Respiration Entrains Human Limbic Oscilations and Modulates Cognitive Function, The Journal of Neuroscience Dec 2016”
If you want to click through to iTunes from here to subscribe to the podcast and listen to this week’s show, and the episodes that have aired since our launch in July 2016, GO HERE
If you want to listen on your android, download Stitcher or click through HERE or you can buy the Pocket Cast App for android.
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world. (To do this from your phone, you can’t be ‘in the show list’ – go to the podcast search function and type low tox life, and then click on the show and click ‘review’. Annoyingly tricky but hey. I figured I may as well help you out if you’re going to take the time to leave a review!)
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet