Hello regular listener… Thank you so much for supporting the show. I know you’re thinking about leaving the show a quick 5 star review and to you I say a big THANK YOU! The reviews help keep us visible and showing up on searches on ITunes AND once we clock 100 reviews, I’m releasing Mum’s ridiculously perfect brownie recipe. True!
Now onto the show…
We hear about genetically modified foods now and then in the media but do we REALLY hear unbiased information, whether it be farmers that use them or manufacturers that tout their ability to ‘feed the world’ or whether it be on blogs and natural health click bait sites warning that they are the root of all evil, bringing the world closer to impending doom? I met Professor Antoniou at his King’s College London lab at Guy’s hospital (yes that’s the kind of visit I like to make on holidays overseas!) to see first hand the test he was carrying out on what the effects of low level everyday residue of pesticide, specifically glyphosate used heavily in GMO agriculture, might do to the body. We talk about that study and much more in this not to be missed show, for anyone seeking clarity and a deeper understanding of the GM concerns and effects of glyphosate-based herbicides on us and the planet.
Here’s a little snapshot of what we cover in today’s episode…
– Professor Antoniou, medical research scientist specialising in genetics
– Researched the doctored genes of plants and food crops and the negative impact it has on the people who eat it
– We all have to eat to live, so it’s very important to be vigilant about the safety of our food chain
– The problems with genetic modification is that you can take pretty much anything and add it to a crop which isn’t the natural way of things
– Just because you can mix a strawberry with a potato doesn’t mean you should and it also doesn’t mean it’s not dangerous
– The dangers of extreme gene transfers which sound amazing but can actually be quite harmful
– This process can be seen in the consumption of grains, it’s not necessarily the grains that are the issue it’s the genetic modification of crops that are causing problems
– Kidney dysfunction, behavioral problems, fatty liver issues have all been linked to GMO farming and glyphosate exposure at very low levels.
– Toxic levels of glyphosate being ingested in most places through out the world
– A lot of these processes like spraying with glyphosate straight before harvest are done out of pure convenience and it needs to be stopped
– The importance of bringing these issues up on a grander scale and the positive impacts it’s bound to have on our health care systems
– Chemical based agriculture is infecting the world with a slow poison
– We need to go back to a pure food chain cycle and make it the norm rather than a sub-culture of people who eat ‘weird’ food
– The positive side is that people are taking matters into their own hands and seeking out pure foods and pesticide free vegetables
NOTE: The practice of defoliating the grain crops isn’t common practice in Australia, however a request to be able to do so was put forward November 2016 in the wetter parts of the country. If you fancy reading that GO HERE. The main exposure we have to the “just before harvest” round up application here in Australia, is from eating multinational product’s grain based snacks where the crops can have been sprayed right before harvest there and grains imported for animal feed or processed foods. Not easy to trace obviously, but good to be aware.
Here are all the important links:
Link to the study on Bisphenol A and other plastics: https://academic.oup.com/toxsci/article/3849675/Transcriptome-profiling-reveals-bisphenol-A
Link to the Glyphosate study: Glyphosate study overview
A great GMO awareness and basics website to empower you to know what you’re talking about and feel confident making better choices.
If you want to click through to iTunes from here to subscribe to the podcast and listen to this week’s show, and the episodes that have aired since our launch in July 2016, GO HERE
If you want to listen on your android, download Stitcher or click through HERE or you can buy the Pocket Cast App for android.
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world. (To do this from your phone, you can’t be ‘in the show list’ – go to the podcast search function and type low tox life, and then click on the show and click ‘review’. Annoyingly tricky but hey. I figured I may as well help you out if you’re going to take the time to leave a review!)
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet