In this show…
Today’s show with guest naturopath Liezel Barnard was all about common issue with the skin and what we can do to strengthen our skin on the outside as well as what we can do from the inside and from a general lifestyle perspective. Most skin conditions aren’t a life sentence and there’s a lot we can do to either avoid experiencing them in the first place, OR lessen severity or make it go away!
What we mentioned
GUT – the book. Simple. Excellently relatable. A must read.
Bureau of Meteorology UV Index – to know when to use sunscreen and when it’s safe to dose up on the most natural and effective form of Vitamin D – the sun! For fair skin and red hair, please consult with your doctor when the best, safest option is for you.
Natural sunscreen picks to cover up without irritating the skin?
NOURISHED LIFE has you covered in Australia – Kelapa and Eco are my favourites there! Just pop through the link and check them out.
IHERB in the USA – I LOVE the Caribbean solutions SPF 25. Brilliant.
Love Lula in the UK
Acne in Canadian Inuit adopting a Western Diet.
Acne in Okinawans adopting a Western Diet.
The fillagrin gene, eczema and the “Atopic March”
Ziyab AH, Karmaus W, Yousefi M, Ewart S, Schauberger E, Holloway JW, Zhang H, Arshad SH. Interplay of filaggrin loss-of-function variants, allergic sensitization, and eczema in a longitudinal study covering infancy to 18 years of age. PLoS One. 2012;7(3):e32721. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0032721. Epub 2012 Mar 5.
Liezel’s top 5 tips for a healthy skin
- Maintain and protect the skin barrier.
- Use mild non-soap cleansers
- Moisturise regurlalrly, never let the skin dry out
- Maintain and protect the skin and gut flora
- Avoid strong antibacterial or antibiotic products unless absolutely necessary
- Eat a wholefood diet high in fibre to feed your good gut bacteria
- Take probiotics if needed
- Have adequate Vitamin D intake
- Consume adequate omega 3 fatty acids through consumption of small oily fish or fish oil or algae supplements.
- Usually 2 fish oil capsules per day
- Find out what your skin condition triggers are and avoid them where possible. Keeping a journal is a good start.
And that’s all I have for you this week! Have you listened back though the shows yet? I’d love to know your AHA’s and favourites if you fancied leaving a comment.
Please remember to leave a star review or a one liner comment review when you get time on ITunes – It’s like tipping the bartender and it’s greatly appreciated.
Low Tox. Happy Us. Happy Planet