There is nothing more I love than a fresh, colourful salad in the summer time with juicy bits aplenty. Nature really does gift us the goods over the summer time, when it comes to flavour and colour, doesn’t she?
A friend asked me to bring something ‘Red’ to a recent lunch, and so the savoury fruit salad was born out of that. I had strawberries, tomatoes, pomegranates from Mum so I built from them and created this one.
pics by Stephen Blake
It had purple basil, green basil, tomato, raspberry, pomegranate, strawberries, roasted pine nuts and a simple olive oil and lemon dressing.
We loved it so much, I made another savoury fruit salad a week later back home in Sydney, this time with incredible peaches, along with more delicious fresh herbs. Here’s the simple recipe. Hope you enjoy it.
That’s it. Delicious with roast chook, steamed fish or for a vegetarian, a bit of goat’s fetta sprinkled over the top.
I hope you enjoy it. If you fancy more salad inspiration, head to…
Epic Salad – You’re guide to creativity every time you make a salad
Real food. Happy bodies.
Savoury Summer Fruit Salad Recipe
- 1 medium purple onion, chopped into slivers (white is fine too or 3 spring onion stalks, chopped)
- 6 peaches cut into wedges
- 1 punnet strawberries, chopped into quarters
- 6 medium dark red tomatoes
- 1 bunch mint, leaves separated from vines
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 bunch basil
- 2 handsful hazelnuts, chopped (roasted on 180C for 12mins first makes them oh so yummy!)
- juice of 1 lemon
- olive oil to drizzle
- 2 pinches salt
- Pop all of your cut up produce into a bowl and mix through, saving a few mint leaves for ‘on top whole fresh garnishing’ at the end.
- Squeeze the lemon over the top and then drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the two pinches of salt.
- Mix through and serve.