Our show sponsor this week…
“The Skin Food menu just got richer.”
Weleda just launched the complete “Skin Food” experience, including Skin Food Body Butter, Skin Food Light for the face and Skin Food Lip Balm. These come to complement their bestseller Skin Food, the iconic cream formulated in 1926, an all-round healing cream that was one of the first products in the range. The new Weleda Skin Food collection features key ingredients of rosemary, pansy, chamomile and calendula alongside sunflower seed oil, lanolin and beeswax, which nourish skin from head to toe. Each product has a distinct composition of aromatics – essential notes of sweet orange, soothing lavender, balsamic benzoin and warm vanilla, simply delicious.
Congratulations to our winners! Check out their entries below:
Kathryn Tinney: To be able to nourish my soul, give self love using these beautiful Weleda products!
Simone Pike: When my skin feels healthy, I feel healthy. And when I feel healthy, I feel happy.
Jodie Passmore: As a mumma to a babe, Weleda is my little moment of meditation that reminds me to breath it all in – smell, nourishment, life.
Karen Jones: Taking steps to detox areas of my life, I have never missed taking my face off, love to feed my skin some quality food
Charlotte Hill: Taking steps to detox areas of my life, I have never missed taking my face off, love to feed my skin some quality food
You’ve each won a Weleda Skin Food pack (including Skin Food 75ml + 30ml, Skin Food Light, Skin Food Body Butter and Skin Food Lip Balm) value $106.75 each.
If you’re not a winner this time, don’t forget to make the most of your special offer!
RECEIVE a free Skin Food 75ml (value $22.95) with all orders over $69.95
And onto this week’s show!
Is there anything the humble mushroom cannot do? From repairing damaged nerves, to fighting cancer proliferation, to improving focus or sleep… the resource is promising and building steadily. Add to that the incredible protein source they provide and their ability to grow from salvaged coffee grounds, and you have the makings for an excellent deep dive into the magic of mushrooms on today’s show. I have the founder of Life Cykel Julian Mitchell on the show with me today and I know you’ll love this conversation. Life Cykel is an evolutionary focused mycelium biotechnology company that engineers positive solutions to real world problems. Trust me, by the end of the chat, you’ll know what that means. By harvesting the Circular Economy and using its valuable fuel in partnership with mushrooms, we are able to offer incredible products and services for our health and planetary harmony. Some of their best examples include the National Mushroom Network, Mushroom Honey and Beemunity, their product that supports the immunity of bees and boy do our beautiful bees need that, sadly! Julian and Ryan co-founded the company back in 2015. From there, it’s quickly grown to become Australia’s leading medicinal mushroom grower and still expanding rapidly, offering cutting-edge mushroom products and decentralised food security enablement packages (ie, hyper local food growing with their mushroom kits.)
The questions I asked Julian:
- There are a few aspects to LifeCykel – circular economy coffee ground recouping for mushroom cultivation… education/school awareness…. bee activism and bee community healing through a mushroom extract… your mushroom extract range: Where the heck do we start, right?
- Let’s start with the type of company you call yourself: mycelium biotechnology company – talk us through what you mean by that?
- And how did you fund the growth… Lots of people get ideas but get scared they’re not going to be able to grow / have enough cash to grow…
- And you say something rather bold on your website: you believe mushrooms have the power to shape a new future ~ one in which we live in full harmony with our beautiful planet. Mushrooms hold the keys…. how are some of the ways mushrooms can play a role in regenerating the planet?
- You cultivate mushrooms and grow them from spent coffee grounds but not just the type we’re going to stir fry with a little butter and garlic… medicinal mushrooms so we’ll get into talking about those in a bit, but first: How did you come to feel called to start a circular economy business centred around spent coffee grounds / mushrooms in the first place?
- And how did you see this then becoming a fundraising and ag/waste education piece for schools?
- As you learnt more and more about mushrooms – what drew you to cultivating medicinals?
- Can you eat mushrooms / take medicinal mushrooms if you’re suffering fungal related issues – candida/mold illness etc?
- Let’s talk medicinals… Reishi, Lion’s Mane, Cordyceps, Turkey Tail, Shitake… a bit about the magic of each one / what best used for. Any juicy studies you want to cite here would be great.
- Why would we choose a powder and why an extract – difference?
- And what does ‘double extract’ refer to?
- Can one overdo medicinal mushrooms?
- Things are all going well with all of these exciting things you guys are doing – what’s the BIG picture for you and what you want to achieve?
- If you had to share a simple way people could have a big impact on their waste and start thinking more circular… what would it be?
Other helpful links:
To find out more about Life Cykel and Julian’s work check out: www.lifecykel.com
Here’s a selection of Alexx’s favourite books on the circular economy:
If you want to click through to iTunes from here to subscribe to the podcast and listen to this week’s show, and the episodes that have aired since our launch in July 2016, GO HERE
If you want to listen on your android, download Stitcher or click through HERE or you can buy the Pocket Cast App for Android.
If you want to listen on Spotify click through HERE.
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet