Maybe you’re ready to join us over in the Low Tox Club to formalise your love for the show? Support the podcast and in turn enjoy the book club, chats, challenges, and insider Q&A with podcast guests to get YOUR specific questions answered. Pop through here and join for the investment $ of a coffee a month or put another way – for $1 per show. Support us to support you. I’d love to see you there, Alexx x
Our show supporter this month is…
Biome was founded in 2003 by Tracey Bailey. It is Australia’s leading zero waste, toxin-free ethical eco store. They have Australia’s strictest ingredient standards and are proud to be 100% palm oil free and a Certified B Corporation. Biome range of products is good for your family and good for our earth. Their range includes waste-free lunch boxes, reusable water bottles, coffee cups, straws and bags, a huge range of zero waste and plastic free products, high-quality products that you will never need to replace, natural skin care, make up, shampoo bars and body care, stainless steel razors, menstrual cups, safe kids soothers and toys, Bokashi compost bins, and other homewares.
Biome also stocks a large range of raw ingredients to make your own DIY skin, hair and body care, and DIY cleaning products. Making products yourself enables you to simplify, minimise, get back to basics and understand exactly what you are putting on your body and spraying around your home.
Save 15% off in-store and online at Biome with code LOWTOX19. Excludes shipping. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer. Expires 31 August 2019. SHOP HERE
And onto this week’s show!
In this week’s show, we have the wonderful Dr Gabrielle Lyon talking muscles. What happens when you cross a woman with a head cold (me that day!) and a Dr who’s about to give birth to her first baby? Well, of course, you get a very interesting show about muscles and the key role they play in the research when it comes to longevity and not just age as a number, but thriving into old age.
Dr. Lyon attended the Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine and is board-certified in Family Practice. She also completed her research fellowship in Nutritional Science and Geriatrics at Washington University in St. Louis. The mix of study she’s done – a whopping 17 years worth – puts her in a unique position to be able to wade through all the research and cut to the chase on what brings results for people, especially those who seek to reach peak physical state. She has brought unparalleled results to her patients with personalized advanced nutritional interventions, metabolic and genetic testing, and behavioural action plans that leave no stone unturned. When you work with Dr. Lyon, you will enter into a partnership that will bring you long-term success and life-changing breakthroughs in every aspect of your life. You can feel this in the no-nonsense way she responds to questions. If you’ve struggled to build muscle and have suffered long and chronic states and want out, muscle – and Dr Gabrielle Lyon – may just be your answer. I hope you enjoy the interview.
Show notes and the sponsor offer can be found over at lowtoxlife.com/podcast and click on that show’s tile.
The questions I asked Gabrielle:
- You call muscle the ‘organ of longevity’ – can you share the ‘why’?
- Relationship between maintaining healthy muscle mass and healthy ageing/brain function / anti-illness
- What keeps us strong and able to build muscle as we get older – is it simply weight training in the mix or is it more than that?
- What’s the relationship between muscle mass and bone density?
- Protein sources + protein requirements – shrowded in controversy and contradicting information, let’s take a look at veg + animal sources and the pros/cons that we need to look out for with both.
- We’re told “X amount of grams of protein per meal” but then over ‘there’ we’re told moderate protein because excess protein is converted to sugars>fats or “too hard on the kidneys” – what to do, doc? What about bio-individual considerations?
- What is the low carb / high fat diet doing to protein consumption/focus? Have you seen any negatives?
- What is a day on your plate like (maybe pregnant and non pregnant)
- Best ways to grow and maintain muscle under 40 / over 40 (and is it different for men/women?)
- Time restricted eating / intermittent fasting – how do we get the recommended food eating two meals a day and retaining/building more muscle?
- Supplements and protocols that support us before/during/after exercise – what can we do without a doc and where is the line drawn where we know “hey I need to see a doc for support on this”.
Other helpful links:
You can find out more about Dr Gabrielle Lyone and her work here: https://drgabriellelyon.com
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet