LISTEN TO THIS WEEK’S SHOW ON iTUNES, STITCHER OR SPOTIFY OR LISTEN RIGHT HERE:
Maybe you’re ready to join us over in the Low Tox Club to formalise your love for the show? Support the podcast and in turn enjoy the book club, chats, challenges, and insider Q&A with podcast guests to get YOUR specific questions answered. Pop through here and join for the investment $ of a coffee a month or put another way – for $1 per show. Support us to support you. I’d love to see you there, Alexx x
Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. Pop a note in the comments section this week if you’d like her album – I’m giving 10 away to the first 10 comments!
Our show supporter this month are…
BlockBlueLight is a premium supplier of all things blue light blocking. Ranging from the very best in blue blocking glasses to blue light free lighting solutions such as red night lights, blue blocking light bulbs, and red light torches.
After learning about how artificial light past sundown has such a drastic impact on our sleep and health they went about designing and creating the most effective devices and tools to allow minimise the damage while still living with technology. They ship worldwide, fast and for free.
The red lens sleep glasses utilise unique technology to filter out all wavelengths that interfere with melatonin production – maximising sleep quality. These are the world’s most advanced blue and green light blocking lenses designed for after-dark use. They block 100% of blue and green light from 380-570nm making them the most powerful blue blocking glasses on the market.
YOUR SPECIAL DISCOUNT: 10% off all orders with the code LOWTOXLIFE.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE.
Shop here: https://www.blockbluelight.com.au
2 WEEK COMPETITION – WIN THE ULTIMATE SLEEP PACK: enter the competition to win a sleep pack valued at $400, consisting of a night-time set of Style Night Time blue blocking glasses, Daytime Computer blue blocking glasses, contorted sleep mask, Sweet dreams blue blocking light bulb, twilight bedtime bulb, twilight red light torch, red night light, sound blocking ear plugs.
To enter the competition, follow these instructions:
1️⃣ Follow @blockbluelight_official Instagram page and @blueblockers Facebook page
2️⃣ Like the pic posted of the Sleep Pack Prize on the @blockbluelight_official Instagram page .
3️⃣ Tag 2 friends that should be blocking blue light in the comments of the pic of the sleep pack prize
4️⃣ Repost/share the pic of the sleep pack prize and copy these rules in your post…
Entries are open until Sunday 27th October. Winners will be announced the following week.
Mark James Henry, the founder of SOLIDTEKNICS, was probably born to innovate in engineering. At age 3 he woke before dawn one Christmas morning and fully assembled a tricky powered construction set that his parents thought they might struggle with in the morning…Fast forward 40-something years, a metal trade, two degrees, several languages, and a string of patents, brands, and businesses later, Mark has developed two ranges of innovative world-first cookware under the brand SOLIDTEKNICS: AUS-ION™ wrought iron (formed low-carbon steel), and nöni™ ferritic wrought stainless cookware. All are made in Australia, all are non-toxic, healthy, sustainable, and multi-century durable.
YOUR SPECIAL OFFER: Receive a free 22cm AUS-ION Sauteuse (valued at $119.95) with orders over $249. Use coupon code lowtox at checkout to redeem this offer. Each order using the coupon code will go into the draw to win a Low Tox approved noni baking tray valued at $299. Winner will be announced on 1st week of November.
Shop Here: https://www.solidteknics.com/products
And onto this week’s show!
Kate Johnston, Naturopath and nutritionist, takes us on a journey looking into supplementation. We look at sourcing, quality, packaging, additives and then also at the act of taking them in general: do we need them, how long to take them, how to feel empowered if you think you’re being prescribed too many, what nutrients are best obtained by food, what situations require us to get added nutrients from supplements when the food isn’t able to provide a therapeutic dose. It’s a great show on what to look for when choosing supplements and how to think more sustainable about the ones we choose.
Questions I asked Kate:
- You / your background general chat.
- Supplements: It’s big business now, which means we need to have our eyes wide open about what we’re taking, where it comes from, how it’s made and if we really need it at all… so to start with: What are some of the main reasons some might actually require supplementation?
- How do we know that it’s not just a health professional trying to get more money per appointment (of course, that would rarely be the case, but sometimes when you walk out of an appointment needing 8 different supplements, it can leave you wondering: DO I really need all these?
- Let’s talk considerations when it comes to mineral, vitamin, essential fats, herbs… not all were created equal, right?
- When it comes to sourcing – what are some of the considerations we need to take into account? (fish oil for example, ascorbic acid from GM food sources, lead contamination, silicone, farming methods for herbs, additives and stabilisers…I reckon we’ll talk about this bit for a while going through those.)
- When is there a case for long term supplementation of something, ie to combat a genetic mutation etc, vs a short term push for a specific purpose?
- If we have something like poor gut health, how do we ensure we’re actually getting the benefit of that supplement when absorption might be an issue?
- Pill, capsule, powder, injection: What’s the best way to ‘get’ our supplementation?
- What are the easiest supplements at clinical doses to get from our food vs popping products?
- How best to we navigate coming off supplements / knowing when it’s not required anymore? Blood tests? Dutch tests? The role of testing in monitoring if the supplement has done its job.
- Anything else that comes up / you want to chat about just let me know before we hit record.
Other helpful links:
To know more about Kate and her work: https://korewellbeing.com.au
Follow @holismhealth.co on Instagram or on Facebook.
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet
HI Alexx! I would love a copy of Melanie’s album she has such a beautiful voice. Thank you for another amazing and information podcast.
Gorgeous music 🙂 Great podcast too!! Thanks so much.
HI Alexx, could you please advise if there are any show notes for this podcast (161) – maybe I’m not looking in the right spot? Thanks, Kim
P.S. thank you for all the amazing work you do – you are an inspiration.