Maybe you’re ready to join us over in the Low Tox Club to formalise your love for the show? Support the podcast and in turn enjoy the book club, chats, challenges, and insider Q&A with podcast guests to get YOUR specific questions answered. Pop through here and join for the investment $ of a coffee a month or put another way – for $1 per show. Support us to support you. I’d love to see you there, Alexx x
Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. Pop a note in the comments section this week if you’d like her album – I’m giving 10 away to the first 10 comments!
Our show supporter this month are…
Mark James Henry, the founder of SOLIDTEKNICS, was probably born to innovate in engineering. At age 3 he woke before dawn one Christmas morning and fully assembled a tricky powered construction set that his parents thought they might struggle with in the morning…Fast forward 40-something years, a metal trade, two degrees, several languages, and a string of patents, brands, and businesses later, Mark has developed two ranges of innovative world-first cookware under the brand SOLIDTEKNICS: AUS-ION™ wrought iron (formed low-carbon steel), and nöni™ ferritic wrought stainless cookware. All are made in Australia, all are non-toxic, healthy, sustainable, and multi-century durable.
YOUR SPECIAL OFFER: Receive a free 22cm AUS-ION Sauteuse (valued at $119.95) with orders over $249. Use coupon code lowtox at checkout to redeem this offer. Each order using the coupon code will go into the draw to win a Low Tox approved noni baking tray valued at $299. Winner will be announced on 1st week of November.
Shop Here: https://www.solidteknics.com/products
BlockBlueLight is a premium supplier of all things blue light blocking. Ranging from the very best in blue blocking glasses to blue light free lighting solutions such as red night lights, blue blocking light bulbs, and red light torches.
After learning about how artificial light past sundown has such a drastic impact on our sleep and health they went about designing and creating the most effective devices and tools to allow minimise the damage while still living with technology. They ship worldwide, fast and for free.
Great sleep can be as simple as changing a light bulb. Too much blue and green light before bed disturb quality sleep. Use the amber Sweet Dreams bulbs in the evening in place of incandescent, halogen, and LED lighting.
These bulbs utilise proprietary spectrum technology to deliver flicker free, high quality, warm evening lighting allowing you to properly wind down and relax. It improves the quality and duration of sleep and supports the natural sleep cycle. They can be used throughout the home to replace most 40w and 60W bulbs, they provide sufficient brightness and colour while still removing 100% of the harmful blue light.
BBL just released their Kids Screentime Blue Light Glasses! Did you know children’s eyes are over 100% more sensitive to blue light than adults? This is because up until the age of 15 their eyes are not yet fully developed. Young pupils are more transparent and larger – this means their eyes are completely unprotected and taking in much higher levels of high-energy, damaging blue light waves. What sets their glasses apart from all the other computer glasses is the ClearBlue lens technology; these lenses block 50% of blue light at 455 nanometers, this is where the most energetic, damaging light emitted from screens, LED’s, and other modern artificial lighting;
YOUR SPECIAL DISCOUNT: 10% off all orders with the code LOWTOXLIFE. FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE
Shop here: https://www.blockbluelight.com.au
LAST WEEK OF THE COMPETITION – WIN THE ULTIMATE SLEEP PACK: enter the competition to win a sleep pack valued at $400, consisting of a night-time set of Style Night Time blue blocking glasses, Daytime Computer blue blocking glasses, contorted sleep mask, Sweet dreams blue blocking light bulb, twilight bedtime bulb, twilight red light torch, red night light, sound blocking ear plugs.
To enter the competition, follow these instructions:
1️⃣ Follow @blockbluelight_official Instagram page and @blueblockers Facebook page
2️⃣ Like the pic posted of the Sleep Pack Prize on the @blockbluelight_official Instagram page .
3️⃣ Tag 2 friends that should be blocking blue light in the comments of the pic of the sleep pack prize
4️⃣ Repost/share the pic of the sleep pack prize and copy these rules in your post.
Entries are open until Sunday 27th October. Winners will be announced next week.
And onto this week’s show!
In this week’s show, we talk about a painful subject for the many that experience it: ACNE, where I invite Clear Skin expert with multiple qualifications and past acne sufferer herself, Asha Evertsz onto the show. Whether you’re a teen, parent of a teen or experiencing bouts of or chronic adult acne, this show is for you or for someone you can think of that needs it. Thanks in advance for forwarding it onto anyone out there who needs it. We talk through every aspect of acne to leave you feeling like you know what to do next, from diet and lifestyle to medications, to prevention and breakout SOS strategy (Loved the ginger tip!) I hope this week’s show is useful for you and as always you can check out the show supporter offers over at lowtoxlife.com/podcast Alexx x.
Questions I asked Asha:
- Empowerment around one’s skin wasn’t just a clinical interest for you it was personal, right? Let’s start there.
- The pill, roacutane, steroids, and antibiotics: All prescribed in various cases for skin conditions: We want to share a different path today as long term medication of any kind carries with it side effects. Where do we start!?
- I’ve heard of skin needling – what do we need to know about that form of treatment/therapy?
- What practitioners can we bring into our support team when experiencing chronic acne?
- What kind of tests are beneficial: ie, inflammation markers, hormones, and other pathology testing?
- Is adult acne different from teen acne?
- What are some of the main causes of adult acne?
- What do breakouts on different areas of the face tell us?
- Back and shoulder acne or decoltage/chest acne – what’s that about?
- What lifestyle circumstances tend to precede breakouts?
- In a world of dietary protocol wars: Which is best for our skin and why? (I have a feeling you’ll say Paleo so I might ask a clarifying question: Do you think that people that have miracle healings from acne and other issues who “GO” paleo/vegan/keto/etc it’s often because of what they were eating before, rather than the variation of wholefood based diet they’ve moved to?
- Thoughts on dairy as a trigger for acne? What about sugar/starches?
- Obsessing about skin: This is a huge one I’d imagine as acne is as much a mentally tough experience not just physical? How do we work on the negative self talk side of things?
- Acne SOS: You feel the break out coming on… A big flare up: Recommendations for what to do when breaking out, topically and on the inside
- How does sleep impact our skin?
- How does exercise impact our skin – any positives/negatives?
- Let’s talk nutritional beauty not necessarily linked to acne support/prevention: What can we do from the inside out to care for our skin, maintain collagen levels, prevent sagging etc?
Other helpful links:
To know more about Asha and the Clear Skin Experts: https://clearskinexperts.melbourne/
And the tests that Asha mentions:
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet