Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Want to join the Low Tox Club for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And onto this week’s show!
Joining me for the 3rd time on the show, Dr Leila Masson, this time talking about heavy metal toxicity in children – but as she rightly points out, you want to ensure you don’t have metal toxicity at any age, for as we get older, they are a risk factor in neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s so it’s by no means a show reserved for parents. Leila is a Sydney based specialist paediatrician with nearly 3 decades in the field. She’s the author of “Children’s Health A-Z” a parent’s guide to natural therapies for common childhood ailments. She specialises in nutritional and environmental medicine for children’s health issues, including allergies, asthma, behavior problems, autism spectrum disorders and ADHD.
The questions I asked Leila:
- What are some of the signs we could be looking for that heavy metals might be an issue for us?
- Best testing protocol – can we talk through hair/bloods/muscle testing/urine/poop if relevant. If it’s different for different metals, we can talk through each one…
- What about other metals? Less talked about are things like arsenic, chromium, nickel etc Is there a simple chart that gives us symptoms for metal highs and lows? Seems you could go down the rabbit hole for years thinking a health woe is one thing, and then it can end up being an obscure metal imbalance… especially if you grew up in an industrial area?
- Treatment options: Let’s talk through each and chelation options, detoxification protocols and things to be mindful with different health histories/situations and how to personalise detoxification to ensure reactions are minimised and the body works efficiently in the process.
- Some doctors seem to say “try and breathe through the period of herxheimer reaction… it’s a part of healing” yet others say “If you’re experiencing negative health symptoms/increased severity then you’re detoxing too much too fast – what is your view?
- Top lifestyle tips for keeping a healthy balance of metals?
- Any supplements or medications that can cause metal imbalance that we need to be mindful of in life?
- Perhaps weaving in an anonymous case study with past patients could be a lovely thing to do during the interview too.
Other helpful links:
To know more about Leila and her work: https://drleilamasson.com/
For wonderful and practical advice to help your child get better and well, her book, Children’s Health A to Z is available at The Book Depository.
You can also find her on Facebook
Brain health, eye health, and nerve function can improve with Nordic Naturals Algae Oil
To clean your water supply up, you can check WatersCo water filter. If you live overseas you have options such as the Berky.
Our show supporter this month is…
NueBar is a new (12 months old) Sydney based company developed by Naturopath Katie Hennah and her partner Kerry Wood. NueBar has developed solid form, plastic packaging free hair and body care bars that are pH balanced, vegan, palm oil free and leave out all the nasties such as sulfates, parabens, petroleum by products and artificial fragrance.
As well as creating products that are low tox, ethical and eco-friendly, Nuebar focus on delivering superior performance and divine aesthetics, upping the “desirability” factor alongside the “eco-warrior” appeal.
Although quite new in the market, Neubar is already a recipient of an International Award. Their Normal and Dry/Damaged Shampoo bars were runners up in “Best Zero-Waste Product ” category of the Beauty Short-List Awards, 2020. The Beauty Shortlist Awards are an International award program that is independent and sponsor free, with judging by industry experts from Sydney, New York and London. They pride themselves on being an even playing field for all brands from big global players to small Artisan brands like NueBar and this year there were entries from 39 countries. The Dry/Mature Face Wash also won an Editor’s Choice Award.
Because NueBar was developed with a Naturopath’s sensibility they also make a Fragrance Free/ Sensitive range. This range does not include any essential oils and uses Organic Olive Oil for it’s low allergy tendency and colloidal oats for their skin soothing action.
OFFER: 15% off first order for the month of May (using code: lowtoxlife) *single use only
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet