Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And onto this week’s show!
I first came across Corinne Segura’s work in a google search. It was 2016, I was in an inflammation cascade that seemed to bring me a new and bizarre symptom every day and I was searching for answers that doctors weren’t able to give me at the time. I suspected our home was the major culprit with water leaks and issues over the years but it was only an inkling at that stage. Coming across work like Corinne’s, someone who’d walked the path of sick building syndrome, chronic fatigue, multiple chemical sensitivity and all the rest, she had turned her mess into the study of building biology to be able to support others. She’s been a certified building biologist specialised in North America and Canada for 6 years now after her studies and the level of research she does for clients and her Facebook/Blog community is commendable. I hope you enjoy the show and make the most of the sponsor offer over at lowtoxlife.com/podcast
The questions I asked Corinne:
- When did you get sick and what did you notice up to the point where you got a diagnosis?
- What made building a non-toxic tiny house the next logical step for you, and can you talk us through that design and build process and some of the key things you learnt along the way (once you get talking I’ll probably ask some more questions along the way in there)
- How do you plan for and design a home that’s going to be able to STAY mould free?
- How much of the story is about maintenance for example and what does maintenance for a regular sized home look like / what can property owners and renters alike do daily/seasonally/annually/every few years to be proactive in preventing mould growth and water damage?
- What can people who are going into a build or renovation do, to surround themselves with the right people so that the build is done right?
- You obviously would have looked in depth at building materials in your process – what did you find and how did you decide what to use and what not to use?
- You decided to become certified as a building biologist – this is a new term to many: Can you talk about your motivation and what the certification means and how impactful it can be to include a building biologist in home builds, renovations, maintenance and screening for potential homes to rent/buy?
- What is your hope for the building industry in the US and around the world in ensuring we have healthier homes for people into the future? What are some of the more innovative things you’re seeing / the hope you have for evidence of things improving/people’s awareness levels rising in the importance of avoiding and repairing water damage and poor air flow management?
Other helpful links:
To find out more about Corinne and her wonderful work on healthy, chemical-free building and interiors: https://www.mychemicalfreehouse.net/
You may also join her on Facebook.
And Corinne mentions these resources during the interview:
Matt Rasinger: https://bit.ly/matt_rasinger
Paula Baker Laporte’s Book (which she is currently in the throes of revision for a 2nd edition): https://bit.ly/paulabakerlaporte
Cheryl Cieko’s course “Building a safe home”: http://bit.ly/safehomesforeveryone
Our show supporter this month is…
Killapilla takes you away to a simpler time when all-natural and organic were just how things were. The Killapilla has been developed by a Queensland Chiropractor and his wife. They were committed to combining the latest in design technology features with only the purest and most natural materials of the past. Resulting in the creation of a perfect pillow. One that is spinally correct, comfortable, non-toxic, healthy, all-natural and organic, and kind to the environment. The Killapilla is Australia’s ONLY All Natural, Organic, and Spinally Correct Pillow. It is “The Healthiest Pillow on the Planet”.
The patented Dual Cell Technology design keeps the Killapilla sturdy for spinally correct and supportive sleep while maximizing comfort night after night. The Zippered Neck Pocket makes the pillow customizable, using the different sized Neck Inserts. It even comes with its own Organic Cotton Zippered Pillow Cover to help protect the pillow.
Through countless testimonials, Dr Todd and Carolina have found that when people switch from a toxic synthetic pillow to the Killapilla that is all-natural and organic AND properly supports the spine, many health concerns are reduced and/or eliminated.
· Poor Quality Sleep
· Sleep Apnoea
· Irritated/Watery Eyes
· Itchiness of the Skin
· Night Terrors
· Hay Fever
· Broken Sleep
· Bad Posture
· Foggy Brain
· Neck Pain and Tension
· Restless Legs
· Forward Head Posture
When you reduce/eliminate stressors on the body (both physical and chemical) you will allow the body to get healthier sleep. As a result, many people have also noted improvements in:
· Energy Levels
· Immune Function
· Hormone Regulation
· Ability to Lose Weight
· Brain Function
· Increased Mood
· Cell Growth/Healing and Repair
Offer: LOWTOXJUNE15 (15% off and FREE SHIPPING Australia wide)
Website URL: https://killapilla.com.au/
Facebook URL: https://www.facebook.com/killapillaAus/
Instagram URL: https://www.instagram.com/KillapillaAus/
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet