Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And on this week’s show!
Something like food waste isn’t a very sexy front page story on the topic of global warming, but if you made food waste a country, according to Project Drawdown research, it would be the 3rd largest emitters behind China and the USA. True story. So food waste is huge, but then the modern person busy with a calendar full of to do’s, sometimes finding it hard to get something on the table for dinner let alone a ‘considered’ meal on the table asks: What can my little house do about the fact that of all food produced, the world wastes between 30-40% of it? Well, a lot. Enter Alex Elliott-Howery, founder of Cornersmith and author of her new and 3rd book “Use it all”. Alex has devised a unique and powerful way for everyone to get really comfortable with using it all up and I was so thrilled to discuss a deep passion topic of mine personally, with a leader in the Aussie field of making food waste reduction an appealing and clever thing for us all to do. Remember the saying “It’s just 1 straw, said 8 billion people?” Well, same is true of food waste. Start where you are, do something, and as a collective we can dramatically change the story around food, grow our respect for it, our connection to it, and become clever, resourceful cooks (which means less stress in the kitchen!) SOUND LIKE A PLAN?
Enjoy! Alexx x
The questions I asked Alex:
- Were you always a scratch cook/waste-reducing ninja or was this something that came over time as an awakening?
- Why was it not satisfying enough to do things for yourself at home – when did the business become an idea?
- Let’s talk about food waste given your new book is called “Use it all”: Why don’t we talk about food waste enough? It is the 3rd largest emitter behind the US and China if it were to be a country: Why are we just talking about plastic spoons at the canteen!?!? (while important of course but HELLO?!)
- Scratch cooking/low waste scrounging around and making a feast out of scraps is a daunting task mentally to many – can we unpack some of the cultural/habitual/lifestyle reasons we’re so terrible at this/uninspired as a general collective, to do more with our food?
- Top 3 things you’d love people to realise really aren’t so hard when it comes to “using it all” – what can we start this week!?
- What have you been most surprised about as you’ve refined and expanded your knowledge of just how much we can do to stretch our food?
- What do you think it does for the human spirit to tune into the value of food on a much deeper level as we do when we stop wasting and starting using it all?
- How much do you teach your kids the ins and outs of using it all?
- Busy people: What are your best tips for the busy peeps to make a success of this in the long term, not just a gung-ho 2 weeks of perfection and then a ‘relapse’.
Other helpful links:
Know more about Alex and their work: https://www.cornersmith.com.au/
This week’s Show Sponsors
We have 2 show sponsors this week!
First up is BlockBlueLight, a premium supplier of all things blue light blocking. After experiencing and then researching the harmful effects artificial light has on our sleep and health, we went about designing and creating the most effective devices and tools to allow us to stay healthy and safe while still living with and using modern technology.
Check out their full range of blue light free lighting ranging from light bulbs, down-lights, night lights, book lights, and sleep lamps.
Night-time blue-blocking glasses that block 100% of light that impacts of melatonin production.
Daytime blue light glasses designed to filter out the harmful wavelengths of light responsible for eye strain, headaches, and eye damages.
Their 100% light blocking sleep mask can be fully adjusted to any size or shape head ensuring 10% light block out every-time.
Offer: 15% off all products sitewide
BlockBlueLight is a premium supplier of all things blue light blocking. After experiencing and then researching the harmful effects artificial light has on our sleep and health, we went about designing and creating the most effective devices and tools to allow us to stay healthy and safe while still living with and using modern technology.
Offer: 15% off all products sitewide
Giveaway: BLUE LIGHT BLOCKING BUNDLE worth $400
This “Ultimate blue-blocking pack” consists of:
- 1 x Premium NightFall blue-blocking glasses for Night-time
- 1 x Premium ScreenTime blue light glasses for daytime
- 1 x Deluxe Delta Sleep Mask
- 1 x NoBlue Amber Book Light
- 1 x Twilight blue-blocking torch
- 1 x Sleep+ sound blocking wear plug
To enter, simply follow them on Instagram @blockbluelight_official, like the post, and tag two friends in it.
Another one is an amazing company with more than 90 years of experience in manufacturing natural skincare products, Weleda.
In harmony with nature and the human being – Weleda is committed to treat nature in a responsible and caring way. The ingredients for our products are either grown in our own biodynamic gardens or cultivated by our fair trade partners around the world. All our skincare products are 100% certified natural by NATURE and are cruelty-free.
Offer details: (free delivery over $49.95) *excludes gift packs and promotional items.
They’re also launching their new Weleda Pomegranate Firming Facial Oil as part of the bestselling Pomegranate Firming Facial Care range.
Composed of eight organic plant oils – argan, macadamia, pomegranate, sesame, safflower, apricot, avocado, and jojoba – this oil intensively nourishes, firms, and activates cell renewal.
This rich formula is like liquid gold. Tackling lines, wrinkles, and dull skin, whilst also providing antioxidative action and antipollution properties to actively defend skin from harmful external influences. Visibly firmer, smoother skin, and an instantly radiant complexion glowing with energy is just a drop away.
Lightweight quickly absorbed and non-greasy this versatile beauty oil can easily be added to any daily skincare routine. Used as an intensive treatment or as a natural booster enriching any moisturising cream.
The formula is 100% NATURE certified natural, dermatologically tested, and suitable for vegans. Like all Weleda products, it is free from microplastics and the packaging is recyclable*. Ingredients are sourced ethically and with respect for people and biodiversity, certified by the Union for Ethical BioTrade (UEBT).
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet