LISTEN TO THIS WEEK’S SHOW ON iTUNES, STITCHER OR SPOTIFY OR LISTEN RIGHT HERE:
Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And on this week’s show!
Wade Lightheart is someone who knows by sheer experience of failure, trial, test, measuring, and eventual success, what the keys to optimal health are for humans. From his experience competing in the Mr. Universe to putting on a lot of body fat shortly after, to a tragic family story in his youth and much, much more, Wade arrived at the acronym A.W.E.S.O.M.E and turned his focus to supporting people through education and his renowned supplement company, BioOptimizers. He uncovered much of the shady-ness of the supplement industry in both research and manufacturing (if you want to dig deeper, I interviewed Kate Johnston/Holm on this last year, too!) and then started on a journey to independently support as many people as possible with the issues plaguing us today: Poor digestive health and the flow-on effect in all areas of our health. We talk about what the second world war had to do with the food industry history, how what we eat today is very different from what every other animal’s diet is, to how to reestablish great digestive health and vitality with some key basic concepts and changes. I hope you enjoy learning from Wade. A wealth of knowledge. Lots of health nuggets. Enjoy and head over to the show notes for the sponsor offer and further details on Wade and BioOptimizers at lowtoxlife.com/podcast
The questions I asked Wade:
- Your thing “Mr Universe” was one of the healthiest men alive… but you weren’t: No.1, what makes one decide they want to go for a Mr Universe title? No.2, what happened afterwards that you weren’t expecting? How did that change your life’s course?
- When did you come up with the “AWESOME” health acronym?
- What did you see in the supplement industry that you didn’t like? What did you see needed (and still does most probably) improving?
- I want to discuss three aspects of health in today’s interview: Digestion, Immune Health, Magnesium minefields!
- So digestion: How did digesting food get so complicated!? Where do you see the biggest impact on our digestion going down the toilet in recent decades! (i.e. the way we have changed our eating, portions, macros, lack of micros, agricultural chemicals, ultra-processed food… the culmination of all things perhaps?)
- What are the 5 stages of digestion?
- Sometimes people feel like they start working on their digestion with a protocol of some kind, it doesn’t work, they switch to another, that doesn’t, people swap and change supps, diets, maco ratios back and forth and start believing they’re never going to have a great gut: How can we simplify and create a clear path to happy digestion through these 5 stages?
- Probiotics, enzymes, bile… how do we know what we need and how much – at what point should we seek personalised care with a doctor/practitioner
- We don’t often talk about the effectiveness of digestion as a barometer for metabolic health: What’s the connection?
- Immune health: How does our immune system function? How can we nurture a healthy immune response? What are key nutrients for immune function? What can we say to naysayers who don’t believe we can do anything to ‘support’ our immune system? Why hasn’t there been a global mandate for Vitamin D/Zinc level testing in the face of a novel virus appearing on the world stage? Why is it so darn hard to make basic nutrient/nutritional science a part of mainstream medicine? I know we always say in alternative health “follow the money and see where it goes” but is it perhaps more complex?
- Let’s look at how we get Vitamin D – different supp options? sun options/safety concerns with that and seasonal variability; and again is D wise to supplement without knowing one’s level first?
- How can we support immune systems that sense danger when there’s really none there – overactive/misfiring?
- Speaking of overactive and needing to calm down… MAGnesium: What is the role of magnesium in the body? How is it there are so many different types that do so many different things? Do you have a couple of favourite forms (like LThreonate)?
- People are often confused about calcium and if we need to take it or not for bone health, but there’s an art to proper absorption and the connection is mag: Can you talk through this and how best to pair the two?
- Is it possible to take too much Mg?
- Why would someone do intravenous mag vs transdermal mag vs caps?
And if we make it through that 70 mins you, Wade are a rockstar. No matter though we can always do a part two next year if not… There is a lot to get through!
Other helpful links:
More details on Bioptimizers here: https://bioptimizers.com/
Get 10% off when you SHOP using this link: www.bioptimizers.com/lowtox
Connect with Wade and the rest of their team here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82051461221
Find them on Instagram @bioptimizers and Facebook
This week’s Show Sponsors
We still have 2 show sponsors this week!
First up is BlockBlueLight, a premium supplier of all things blue light blocking. After experiencing and then researching the harmful effects artificial light has on our sleep and health, we went about designing and creating the most effective devices and tools to allow us to stay healthy and safe while still living with and using modern technology.
Check out their full range of blue light free lighting ranging from light bulbs, down-lights, night lights, book lights, and sleep lamps.
Night-time blue-blocking glasses that block 100% of light that impacts of melatonin production.
Daytime blue light glasses designed to filter out the harmful wavelengths of light responsible for eye strain, headaches, and eye damages.
Their 100% light blocking sleep mask can be fully adjusted to any size or shape head ensuring 10% light block out every-time.
Offer: 15% off all products sitewide
BlockBlueLight is a premium supplier of all things blue light blocking. After experiencing and then researching the harmful effects artificial light has on our sleep and health, we went about designing and creating the most effective devices and tools to allow us to stay healthy and safe while still living with and using modern technology.
Offer: 15% off all products sitewide
Giveaway: BLUE LIGHT BLOCKING BUNDLE worth $400
This “Ultimate blue-blocking pack” consists of:
- 1 x Premium NightFall blue-blocking glasses for Night-time
- 1 x Premium ScreenTime blue light glasses for daytime
- 1 x Deluxe Delta Sleep Mask
- 1 x NoBlue Amber Book Light
- 1 x Twilight blue-blocking torch
- 1 x Sleep+ sound blocking wear plug
To enter, simply follow them on Instagram @blockbluelight_official, like the post, and tag two friends in it.
***BLOCK BLUE LIGHT GIVEAWAY COMPETITION NOW CLOSED – THE LUCKY WINNER IS @ashleigh.cara. Congratulations!
Another one is an amazing company with more than 90 years of experience in manufacturing natural skincare products, Weleda.
In harmony with nature and the human being – Weleda is committed to treat nature in a responsible and caring way. The ingredients for our products are either grown in our own biodynamic gardens or cultivated by our fair trade partners around the world. All our skincare products are 100% certified natural by NATURE and are cruelty-free.
They’re also launching their new Weleda Pomegranate Firming Facial Oil as part of the bestselling Pomegranate Firming Facial Care range.
Composed of eight organic plant oils – argan, macadamia, pomegranate, sesame, safflower, apricot, avocado, and jojoba – this oil intensively nourishes, firms, and activates cell renewal.
This rich formula is like liquid gold. Tackling lines, wrinkles, and dull skin, whilst also providing antioxidative action and antipollution properties to actively defend skin from harmful external influences. Visibly firmer, smoother skin, and an instantly radiant complexion glowing with energy is just a drop away.
Lightweight quickly absorbed and non-greasy this versatile beauty oil can easily be added to any daily skincare routine. Used as an intensive treatment or as a natural booster enriching any moisturising cream.
The formula is 100% NATURE certified natural, dermatologically tested, and suitable for vegans. Like all Weleda products, it is free from microplastics and the packaging is recyclable*. Ingredients are sourced ethically and with respect for people and biodiversity, certified by the Union for Ethical BioTrade (UEBT).
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet
What a fascinating interview, can’t wait for part 2. I could listen to Wade all day, he’s a wealth of knowledge. So many great take aways from the interview.
So glad you enjoyed it Lynn.