Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And on this week’s show!
Our second Eco-Building special release this week is with Australian business owners of Blue Eco Homes, Joe and Merylese Mercieca, from the Blue Mountains region. In this show we focus on Passivhaus building philosophy and implementation to help you understand not only what some of the drawbacks are to a regular house build, but what the many benefits are to getting it right for your health and the planet in the long term. Having spent a night in their show home to experience what it was like, I can tell you it’s a home like no other. Joe had a vision to build sustainable quality homes, with minimal impact on the environment – both during construction and when occupied. This was the catalyst for Blue Eco Homes. With an aim to reduce environmental impact both during construction and habitation of their homes, Blue Eco Homes continues to pioneer sustainable innovations in the building industry. We work with local designers to build sustainable residential and commercial properties simply not offered by traditional builders.
The questions I asked Blue Eco Homes:
- What’s your story about becoming a builder in your work?
- And then becoming someone who saw the flaws in the design/building industry when it came to the average home/office building and deciding you wanted to do things differently?
- Let’s talk about some of the standard building terms we see and pitfalls/positives if any for each: Energy Efficient Building? Cement-rendered block? Double Brick? (send through any others you want to help explain)
- What do our building codes in Australia fall short of when it comes to the health of the building and its inhabitants in the long term?
- And now let’s talk about designing and building for optimal health from the 3 major perspectives: 1. light, heat, energy 2. water 3. moisture, airflow, temperature
- What is Passive Haus vs Eco Home?
- How do you achieve carbon neutrality in your work?
- And now let’s step through some of the considerations someone might want to make about renovating and building if they want to build for the health of home longevity and the people who live there.
Other helpful links:
Know more about the wonderful works of Blue Eco Homes: https://blueecohomes.com.au
This week’s Show Sponsor
The idea for MOTHER SPF was born out of necessity when a few years back my mother was diagnosed with Cancer leaving me to discover the hidden nasties lurking in a lot of the mainstream skin and SPF products. After not being able to find a mineral sunscreen suitable for myself and a strong love for all things skin health and mother nature, I decided to look into making my own. After partnering with the very best green cosmetic scientist and a TGA licensed manufacturer, MOTHER SPF came to life this year.
Offer: Free Shipping for the month
Our love for MOTHER nature extends past our sustainably sourced, reef friendly and certified organic ingredients. MOTHER SPF is made in Australia with 100% solar power. Our tubes are made out of recycled plastics that would normally end in landfill and are also 100% recyclable. MOTHER SPF comes in organic cotton reusable bags and is delivered in compostable mailing bags made from corn starch.
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet