Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And on this week’s show!
This week on the show a dear friend joins me to discuss openly and honestly what it is to really struggle with yours and your child’s health, how surrounding yourself with supportive people and practitioners is key and then we go on to have delicious chats about Christmas festivities, our menu plans, cooking from scratch to success and more. Jo Whitton is an author, businesswoman, and founder of popular health and cooking platform, Quirky Cooking. Growing up, Jo struggled with chronic health issues. As she watched her children grow up, she noticed that they struggled with similar health conditions and began to research ways in which they could improve their health, through a whole-food and low-allergen diet. In 2008, Jo created her blog, Quirky Cooking, as an outlet to document and share her learnings about healing with whole foods. Quickly, Jo became known for her honest approach to health and life, and Quirky Cooking became a go-to platform for easy and delicious recipes. She is the bestselling author of 2 cookbooks already with a 3rd due out next year.
The questions I asked Jo:
- How has this year been for you guys up there Jo?
- I know you’ve told this story a thousand times but how did your journey to healing through foods play out for you and your family? (let’s just spend 5-10 mins tops on this cause I can direct them to a show you’ve done with the full versions so that we have time to cover everything else…)
- At what point for yourself and your son did you realise: ‘whole foods’ are not enough here… we’re going to need to do something more.
- How do we find the foods that are healing to us – one man’s healing is another man’s kryptonite sometimes, and there are just so many things you can try: How did you navigate that confusion for yourselves?
- Did you, even as a great, creative cook, find it challenging to tweak your meal plans and bring healing foods into your diet
- Now I want to also talk more generally about things you’re so good at supporting people with: A lot of people think they can’t afford whole foods and it can feel that way – it’s $8 for a small bag of organic almonds but say $3 for a tray of BBQ FLAVOURED rice crackers: How do we do whole foods without blowing the budget?
- A lot of people feel stressed by cooking, preparing non stop meals and snacks for their families: What do you think are the biggest shifts people can make to alleviate that stress?
- How important is it to have community support when we’re trying to create big shifts as a person or as a family?
- The end of the year is coming as we record this, what are some traditions you guys have as a family and community to celebrate the holidays?
- Book one has inspired many and we know there’s a book 2: When’s it coming?
Jo lives in Far North Queensland, Australia, where she works from home and enjoys the country life. She is passionate about sharing how to transition to a traditional, healing, whole food diet, as she has experienced first hand the life-changing health benefits of eating this way. She loves helping families reduce the overwhelm caused by chronic health issues, guiding them towards simple diet and lifestyle changes that will heal and nourish, one small step at a time.
Other helpful links:
Know more about Jo and her work here: https://www.quirkycooking.com.au/
Q&A with her son Isaac on Helping Teens Heal
This week’s Show Sponsor
Killapilla takes you away to a simpler time when all-natural and organic were just how things were. The Killapilla has been developed by a Queensland Chiropractor and his wife. They were committed to combining the latest in design technology features with only the purest and most natural materials of the past. Resulting in the creation of a perfect pillow. One that is spinally correct, comfortable, non-toxic, healthy, all-natural and organic, and kind to the environment. The Killapilla is Australia’s ONLY All Natural, Organic, and Spinally Correct Pillow. It is “The Healthiest Pillow on the Planet”.
The patented Dual Cell Technology design keeps the Killapilla sturdy for spinally correct and supportive sleep while maximizing comfort night after night. The Zippered Neck Pocket makes the pillow customizable, using the different sized Neck Inserts. It even comes with its own Organic Cotton Zippered Pillow Cover to help protect the pillow.
Through countless testimonials, Dr Todd and Carolina have found that when people switch from a toxic synthetic pillow to the Killapilla that is all-natural and organic AND properly supports the spine, many health concerns are reduced and/or eliminated.
· Poor Quality Sleep
· Sleep Apnoea
· Irritated/Watery Eyes
· Itchiness of the Skin
· Night Terrors
· Hay Fever
· Broken Sleep
· Bad Posture
· Foggy Brain
· Neck Pain and Tension
· Restless Legs
· Forward Head Posture
When you reduce/eliminate stressors on the body (both physical and chemical) you will allow the body to get healthier sleep. As a result, many people have also noted improvements in:
· Energy Levels
· Immune Function
· Hormone Regulation
· Ability to Lose Weight
· Brain Function
· Increased Mood
· Cell Growth/Healing and Repair
Offer: Get 15% off for the month of December when you SHOP at https://killapilla.com.au/
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet