Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And on this week’s show!
This week continuing our people and planet series looking into the evidence for health benefits of an organic diet, with Liza Oates, PhD. Lisa did her doctoral research on the health benefits of organic diets after observing in clinic as a practitioner for decades, the wide ranging benefits people felt when she transitioned them to organic food. We discuss organics, how the most important difference is ‘what’s NOT’ in the food, various associations’ claims and media claims and how to engage in thorough research when we want to investigate claims, and we talk about nutrition confusion in today’s world. It’s a great, clarifying listen if you’ve been confused about this topic.
The questions I asked Liza:
- What led you to your PhD topic after years practicing natural medicine and nutrition?
- And did you find any specific health benefits to an organic diet?
- You describe very succinctly what the major 4-fold benefits, a couple of which are bigger picture benefits beyond our personal health, in adopting an organic diet wherever possible: Can you share those with us now?
- Why is promoting an organic diet so ‘controversial’ (we can talk about fossil fuel interest via fertilisers, ag lobbyists… my audience can handle it)
- As someone with a PhD, you would have read and put forward many papers in your time… How can a narrative be controlled and promoted to have people believe one thing, and yet that thing isn’t the whole story?
- “Do your research” is a phrase bandied about a lot these days and yet, we don’t get taught HOW – especially in the modern world of algorithms and funding ambiguity: How can we most effectively “do our research” when it comes to organics and nutrition?
- Can we look at “eggs” given they’ve been in and out of favour over the decade: How could one come to decide yay or nay on eggs and how can our initial search terms impact what is served up and ultimately the forming of our beliefs?
- Macros: Help us, doc. People are still confused and whatever you do, there seems to be someone telling you to do the exact opposite!
- Bioindividuality – how much do things like ethnic evolutionary diets + genetics + age/stage of life impact on us finding our best personal diet? Are we likely to see research helping us navigate this better and better over time?
- When it comes to organic food, we hear about the clean fifteen/dirty dozen each year launched by the EWG. Does this apply in Australia? Does it also depend on region and growth method as to how many additional synthetic inputs might be used in growing food?
- An exciting new certification: The GradCert in Organic Food Nutrition: Tell us about it?
- When it comes to organics and nutrition: What are you most excited about i the research and in public health?
Other helpful links:
You can know more about Liza and her work at https://www.lizaoates.com.au/
This week’s show Sponsors
My Green Pod
My Green Pod Ltd is an independent, family-run UK business, founded by Katie Hill and Jarvis Smith. We want to share the real stories behind the brands and people working tirelessly to offer ethical alternatives to mainstream products and services.
Unlike any other company we know, we meet and connect personally with the owners of the companies we work with. We do this because we believe that authentically ethical products and services can only be produced and supplied with conscious, heartfelt intent.
Plenty of businesses are cashing in on the trend towards natural and organic products, but if those companies are cutting corners to be the first to market – whether in their packaging, their supply chains, their ingredients, or their staff welfare – they won’t be featured here. This isn’t something you can check by visiting a website, so we go behind the scenes to investigate the company’s entire DNA.
Our Hero products and services are the most effective and enjoyable alternatives to mainstream options that we can find. We use them in our home and we use them on our family. They’re also from companies that are working in co-creation with the planet – intentionally operating in harmony with nature and in service to the wellbeing of their customers.
With your support, these companies could change the face of business and the health of our environment – and you could save some cash and discover some extremely effective ethical products along the way!
Every time you buy from our Marketplace, we’ll plant a tree in the tropics (through charity partner TreeSisters) as our way of saying thank you for helping to change the path of the future. Together, lots of small actions make a huge difference. #PutYourMoneyWhereYourHeartIs
Sign up and get a Free Digital Magazine HERE. Subscription is free; you’ll receive a weekly newsletter with a summary of our latest news, plus exciting products for sale on our ethical Marketplace and details of our latest competitions.
You’ll also receive a digital edition of My Green Pod Magazine, distributed quarterly with the Guardian.
Australia’s No. 1 Organic Coffee Company!
Republica Organic pioneered and paved the way to sustainability. They’re an ethical company that ensures Third World coffee farmers are guaranteed a fair deal whilst not compromising on taste. They’re a multi-award winner due to their sustainable commitments and work including a Best for the World B Corp – since 2015.
Make your food choices delicious and ethical. – Jacqueline Arias
GIVEAWAY: Win your custom-tailored year’s worth of coffee – 2 lucky winners will have the chance to jump onto the Republica Website and choose $200 worth of products from the Republica range.
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet