Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And on this week’s show!
Another installment of our parents and kids series during these few weeks and it’s another super helpful show. Do you ever doubt yourself as a parent or carer? If the answer is ‘oh yeah I do sometimes!’ then enter today’s guest: Rod Soper is deeply committed to increasing the wellbeing of every child through saturating their lives with wellness. Rod is a veteran educator, having served as a classroom teacher and school principal for more than twenty years. Currently, Rod heads up Personhood360 and is the principal consultant with Thinkersinq Consulting. He is also the chief investigator of The Playing with Gratitude research Project, a wellness project supporting change in about 3000 Australian children, families, and teachers.
All parents and carers want to contribute to the development of resilience in children as they grow, helping them with good self regulation skills, perseverance, courage, and also developing their ability to move through big emotions and get themselves unstuck when they experience an emotionally or physically challenging situation. Today’s show is packed with the kinds of tips and things to say in different situations that you will absolutely want a notepad and pen for so pour a cuppa, take it in and share with a friend who might want some support raising their kids. The resources we talked about can be found below.
Questions I asked Rod:
- What led you to a career in education?
- What were some of your biggest lessons as a teacher? School Principal?
- And what led you to want to focus on EL?
- What have you seen as some of the biggest differences that we can make as parents and carers in a child’s life as they grow?
- We all want our kids to grow to be resilient, but what can we miss if we focus too much on resilience/toughness/can-do, and not enough on wellbeing?
- So you see a child have a tough time, say, in a sporting situation – maybe they’re upset they lost/are losing a match/game, maybe their team mate blamed them for doing something wrong and they’re really down – how do we see them, meet them where they are, and also have these experiences help build resilience?
- Can you share some ways we can build healthy resilience in our kids that also help them feel good about themselves, comfy in their skin/happy, rather than braving life because they ‘think they have to or won’t be loved/will be seen as weak’ etc? Maybe we could look at 0-7 7-13 and teen years examples to span all ages of childhood?
- How important is it for us to model well being? What are some healthy ways we can do that around our kids?
- Let’s talk about self regulation and some of the ways we can support the development of this, as well as the difference between self regulation and self control?
- Discipline with our kids: We can feel a bit lost these days knowing how to do it right, and I’ve seen this backfire where there’s no discipline or boundaries because parents want their kids to be happy/peace at home – how do we do healthy boundaries without instilling fear/shame that they’re not good enough/being raised as needs be to grow up competent humans?
- How important is fostering gratitude in our kids? Ways to do it?
- Grit – how much does grit develop simply through life experience vs us being able to teach it?
Other helpful links:
Wellbeing Ideas for children Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1938172416334235
Rod’s book “The Great Gratitude Surprise”
Kool Kids Program: https://www.mq.edu.au/research/research-centres-groups-and-facilities/healthy-people/centres/centre-for-emotional-health-ceh/centre-for-emotional-health-clinic/programs-for-children-and-teenagers/online-treatment-accordions/cool-kids-online
The Great Gratitude Surprise: https://playingwithgratitude.com/the-great-gratitude-surprise/
This week’s show sponsors:
BlockBlueLight is the world’s leading supplier of blue and artificial light blocking products, they are dedicated to delivering the world’s most optimal and science backed blue light glasses, and blue blocking lighting solutions, aiming to alleviate digital eye strain, improve sleep, and optimise health through mitigating the harmful effects of artificial light from screens, devices, and LED & fluorescent lighting.
They’ve got two different ranges of night-time glasses; the nightfall red lens range blocks all blue and green light to align with the academic studies on the exact wavelengths that need to be blocked to ensure maximum melatonin levels.
Then there are the new SunDown Amber lenses. These are new and only just released, the lighter coloured lenses allow much more colour perception than the red lens while still blocking 100% of blue light and still provide benefits of lowering stress levels and increasing sleep quality. Both lenses are unique to any other brand in that they use a very special pigment embedded into the lens and are made in an optical lab to ensure the highest clarity and superior blue blocking properties.
Giveaway details: Ultimate Blue light Blocking Pack: 1 x night time glasses, 1 x daytime glasses, 1 x delta sleep mask, 1 x NoBlue Book Light, 1 x Twilight Torch, 1 light blue blocking light bulb
- Follow @blockbluelight_official Instagram page
- Like this pic on our Instagram
- Tag 2 friends that should be blocking blue light in the comments of this post.
2 Friends tagged = 1 entry. The more friends you tag, the more chances of winning the giveaway!
Offer: Get 15% off all products for the month with code LOWTOXLIFE15
Shop here: http://www.blockbluelight.com.au/
Ausclimate’s range of dehumidifiers are an effective and economical answer to moisture control in Australian homes. They will actually dry out the rooms of your home or business, protecting your property and valuables but most importantly, reducing your exposure to moisture-related health risks. Ausclimate’s dehumidifiers are easy to use, low-cost, highly efficient and can even dry the laundry!
Giveaway details: Ausclimate is giving all Low Tox Life followers a chance to win an Ausclimate Cool-Seasons Premium 10L Desiccant Dehumidifier (Valued at $629 RRP). This premium, award-winning 10 litre per day small-size/BIG-POWER model is compact & light weight yet powerful in performance with a high desiccant moisture removal capacity. They can even dry the washing with a dedicated laundry-mode. An all-in-one dehumidifier & dryer; your premium choice desiccant dehumidifier.
Offer: Ausclimate is giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 5% OFF their already discounted prices on the Ausclimate.com.au website! Simply enter the discount code LOWTOXLIFE at checkout. This discount can also be redeemed for over the phone orders.
Enjoy the show,