Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And on this week’s show!
She’s BACK: Maggie Dent is here to give us parenting gold as we celebrate her new book “Parental as Anything”. We talk about winning and losing, boundaries, brides, reward, building friendships, learning and teaching covering from 4 to teens – it’s a cracker of a show if you’re a parent or carer giving you a tonne of tools and vocab to use with your child(ren) to support them in thriving as the individual humans that they are and within the context of living happily in society. Share it with parents and carer friends, this is not a show to be missed.
Questions I asked Maggie:
- Given we focused on boys last time you were on the show, and I encourage everyone to head back to show #115 to take a listen, I’d love to ask you in the toddler to 5 times – is there anything we need to be mindful of that’s different from raising boys when raising girls?
- What are some of the biggest things to watch out for as our little people head for school?
- How do we cultivate their individuality in a system that can sometimes dim their lights?
- I’ve heard from many parents over the years in chats about our kids and school, that report cards and teacher interviews might have the “he/she is great BUT… how can we change that conversation where the not-so-great in one area, dims the great.
- What’s the best way to cultivate an allied partnership with our kids’ teachers (and also in a time where often there’s less time/crossover with kids at before/after school care etc? )
- How can we help our kids build strong friendships?
- And how can we help them with tact when someone keeps gravitating towards them but they don’t want to play with that person/have playdates/sleepovers?
- And also, how can we navigate those instances where someone has clearly decided they don’t like your child?
- Or what about when a child shares something with your child that’s wither adult themed/violent information/images: How can we help them navigate that? (I’ll share the story of a Year 1 child who invited my child and his bestie to a ‘penis sucking party’ when they were in Year 1 as an example! Poor kid was very troubled…)
- Discipline: can we talk about the things that are going to have the biggest impact in the early years, for our goal of raising good humans?
- Bribe and reward when it comes to technology and food: How can we ensure we don’t set up a gamified “you do this, you get them” for basic good things we should be teaching them to do/boundaries to set themselves?
- Modelling for our kids without becoming anxious about our own “faults” quirks and stuff-ups along the way?
- Family – it comes in all shapes and sizes as we all try to navigate divorce, separation, single parenting, blended families, same sex parenting…
- How can we foster connection and closeness in the transition to the teen years?
Other helpful links:
For everything Maggie Dent, visit her website: https://www.maggiedent.com/
Also helpful, her audiobook “I am a Good Friend” which speaks to helping young kids make friends
This week’s show sponsors:
BlockBlueLight is the world’s leading supplier of blue and artificial light blocking products, they are dedicated to delivering the world’s most optimal and science backed blue light glasses, and blue blocking lighting solutions, aiming to alleviate digital eye strain, improve sleep, and optimise health through mitigating the harmful effects of artificial light from screens, devices, and LED & fluorescent lighting.
They’ve got a range of lighting products to help light up the home and product biological friendly lighting for different situations, the sweetdreams light bulb gives off a warm amber light to be used throughout the home, and the twilight red light bulbs also remove all green light and are ideal for bedroom lamps and areas in the final hours before bed. They also have handy portable book lights, sleep lamps, and new motion night lights. All of the lighting products are 100% flicker free, low EMF, and verified to emit no blue light.
They also have two different ranges of day-time glasses; the ScreenTime Clear lens range is designed to filter blue light down by 50%, they target the exact spectrums of blue light emitted from screens and lighting, they help alleviate eye strain, headaches, and sore and tired eyes.
Then there is a new release DayMax yellow lens range which just came out 2 weeks ago, these glasses provide maximum daytime protection but completely eliminating the blue light spike from screens and lighting while still letting the blue light we need during the day to allow us to feel awake and alert, wearing these glasses is perfect for people who are light sensitive, suffer bad migraines and headaches and are looking for maximum daytime production. Wearing them makes everything look bright and sunny!
Both lenses are unique to any other brand in that they use a very special pigment embedded into the lens and are made in an optical lab to ensure the highest clarity superior blue blocking properties.
Giveaway details: Ultimate Blue light Blocking Pack: 1 x night time glasses, 1 x daytime glasses, 1 x delta sleep mask, 1 x NoBlue Book Light, 1 x Twilight Torch, 1 light blue blocking light bulb
- Follow @blockbluelight_official Instagram page
- Like this pic on our Instagram
- Tag 2 friends that should be blocking blue light in the comments of this post.
2 Friends tagged = 1 entry. The more friends you tag, the more chances of winning the giveaway!
Offer: Get 15% off all products for the month with code LOWTOXLIFE15
Shop here: http://www.blockbluelight.com.au/
Ausclimate’s range of dehumidifiers are an effective and economical answer to moisture control in Australian homes. They will actually dry out the rooms of your home or business, protecting your property and valuables but most importantly, reducing your exposure to moisture-related health risks. Ausclimate’s dehumidifiers are easy to use, low-cost, highly efficient and can even dry the laundry!
Giveaway details: Ausclimate is giving all Low Tox Life followers a chance to win an Ausclimate Cool-Seasons Premium 10L Desiccant Dehumidifier (Valued at $629 RRP). This premium, award-winning 10 litre per day small-size/BIG-POWER model is compact & light weight yet powerful in performance with a high desiccant moisture removal capacity. They can even dry the washing with a dedicated laundry-mode. An all-in-one dehumidifier & dryer; your premium choice desiccant dehumidifier.
Offer: Ausclimate is giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 5% OFF their already discounted prices on the Ausclimate.com.au website! Simply enter the discount code LOWTOXLIFE at checkout. This discount can also be redeemed for over the phone orders.
Enjoy the show,