Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
And on this week’s show!
This week we begin a series on the brain, with four leading experts on various aspects of brain health and recovery. This week Dr Dale Bredesen returns to the show to discuss The First Survivors of Alzheimer’s – the people themselves and their stories within the wider context covered in his new book. We discuss the evolution of brain research, the frustration of how slow progress can feel, and the most important findings in his 30 years researching brain degeneration. If you want to actively prevent Alzheimer’s in your life and family’s life, and if you know someone who may already be experiencing cognitive decline, I couldn’t think of a more important person’s body of work than that of Dale’s which is why I value his time on our show over the years. Enjoy the show!
Questions I asked Dale:
- You start your next book stepping us through history of the world-changing moments when a cure is found for a disease and I just love this paragraph (I’ll read out Najiv + Najiv son paragraph here… and then do you mind if I ask what Najiv’s son’s coronavirus treatment research has entailed, given it’s so pressing right now? If not we’ll just move straight onto “And do you believe you’re living that moment of world-changing news for Alzheimer’s?
- (A couple of questions to affirm your expertise for people who might not yet know your work/be new listeners who’ve missed the first 2 shows)… 30 years of clinical research informed you arriving to the point at which you and your team have – what have been if you could sum up, some of the most key findings/links that contribute to someone receiving an Alzheimer’s diagnosis?
- And some of the biggest keys to the realisation that we can prevent, reverse or treat it?
- In your 30 years of research, some of that research led to the Mismatch Theory – can you explain what that is?
- You say of medicine that it has turned into politics and that unfortunately in politics, truth bears no potency… Can you give us a window into why, in the scientific community, root-cause approaches have largely been ignored with Alzheimer’s beyond the known genetic predisposition?
- Alzheimer’s was first talked about in the medical field in 1906 and over a century later we’re still not talking reversal/cure in the mainstream, yet we’ve been able to treat and heal from bacterial meningitis, eradicate polio, come up with triple therapy for HIV – why over 100 years and little advancement in the mainstream treatment for Alz? What is the problem with the pharmaceutical options available? Should we be excited for the supposedly ‘huge news’ about the newly approved Aduhelm (aducanumab)? What is the research showing us on that – shouldn’t it be great that if Amyloid builds up in Alzheimer’s that there’s now a drug that causes it to be reduced?
- I’ll read the excerpt on the quality of the evidence being good from page 8 of the intro and the issue being the translation of the data, somewhere in those last two questions…
- “Age related memory loss is a fallacy” – so we should be worried if we misplace our keys a few too many times? I remember it was a family joke my grandma saying “Where are my keys?” “Where are my glasses?” for the decade or two before she was diagnosed. Having spoken to you and read your first two books, while of course, one can’t undo the past, I do think if I’d had my time again, I could have helped there. Instead, we’re helping everyone listening here, and there’s great comfort in that.
- How do you ward off criticism that you might just be a guy being ‘controversial’ to sell books and programs in th age of headline outrage and public colleague shaming if you don’t fit the expected or status quo narrative? Do you remain calm and say, the proof in skipping the pudding? (Couldn’t resist! hehe)
- Your new book, The First Survivors: Are these all patients you’ve had on your trials and program over the years? Were they all experiencing various stages of CD and were any with an advanced Alzheimer’s diagnosis?
- Can you share a couple of stories?
- I was interested to see you mention SPMs when you talked about addressing systemic inflammation in your prevention/reversal strategy- I’d never heard of them until a consult with an integrative doc last year where I had a huge onset of brain inflammation from an unfortunate mould re-exposure, my fog was unbearable and she put me on a quadruple dose of those for a couple of months, I’m now on a normal dose and I have to say, they’re amazing. I literally feel like my smart self again. How do they differ from taking regular fish oil? You also talk in the stories about metabolic disease in prevention…
- Part of Recode is obviously the diet which you describe as a plant rich ketogenic diet – is this close/similar to how we were eating before the proliferation of this and other big diseases, in your view?
- What’s next – how do we advance the research, reach the point of data that no one – no government, no medical association can ignore any longer?
Other helpful links:
Dales books are available on Booktopia and the Book Depository, if you’d like to grab a copy:
This week’s show sponsors:
BlockBlueLight is the world’s leading supplier of blue and artificial light blocking products, they are dedicated to delivering the world’s most optimal and science backed blue light glasses, and blue blocking lighting solutions, aiming to alleviate digital eye strain, improve sleep, and optimise health through mitigating the harmful effects of artificial light from screens, devices, and LED & fluorescent lighting.
Red light therapy has many amazing benefits, Block Blue Light have developed the only red light therapy panels in all of Australia that have been fully certified to all the relevant Australia electrical safety standards. Their range of panels are the highest power output panels available which ensures your able to get therapeutic dosage to ensure maximum benefits. They have a range on panel sizes from a small handheld one through to the large full body panel with 300 high powered LEDs, these have been created to be flicker free and ultra-low EMF to ensure they are true health devices not causing harm in other ways. The panels are very competitively priced making them much more affordable than the brands form the US, and the biggest benefit is there is local support with a 3-year warranty.
- Follow @blockbluelight_official Instagram page
- Like this pic on our Instagram
- Tag 2 friends that should be blocking blue light in the comments of this post.
2 Friends tagged = 1 entry. The more friends you tag, the more chances of winning the giveaway!
Offer: Get 15% off all products for the month with code LOWTOXLIFE15
Shop here: http://www.blockbluelight.com.au/
Ausclimate’s range of dehumidifiers are an effective and economical answer to moisture control in Australian homes. They will actually dry out the rooms of your home or business, protecting your property and valuables but most importantly, reducing your exposure to moisture-related health risks. Ausclimate’s dehumidifiers are easy to use, low-cost, highly efficient and can even dry the laundry!
Giveaway details: Ausclimate is giving all Low Tox Life followers a chance to win an Ausclimate Cool-Seasons Premium 10L Desiccant Dehumidifier (Valued at $629 RRP). This premium, award-winning 10 litre per day small-size/BIG-POWER model is compact & light weight yet powerful in performance with a high desiccant moisture removal capacity. They can even dry the washing with a dedicated laundry-mode. An all-in-one dehumidifier & dryer; your premium choice desiccant dehumidifier.
Offer: Ausclimate is giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 5% OFF their already discounted prices on the Ausclimate.com.au website! Simply enter the discount code LOWTOXLIFE at checkout. This discount can also be redeemed for over the phone orders.
Enjoy the show,