Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – the place to bring your low tox life to life
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – more details and registration here: https://www.lowtoxlife.com/the-low-tox-club/
Low Tox Life Food – Now available for PRE ORDER!
It’s packed with inspiration and stories from regenerative farmers, checklists for what to ask about the produce you buy, ways to afford better choices, as well as 80 of Alexx’s most requested recipes for budget-friendly, easily adaptable meals without waste.
If you want to feel more certain and more hopeful about the future of food and our planet, this book is for you.
Pre-order yours today! Available on 28th September.
And on this week’s show!
Doug Purdie is the author of Backyard Bees and knows everything you’d need to know about thriving as a beekeeper in your back yard or on your rooftop. Doug, along with his business partner Vicky Brown at The Urban Beehive, maintains more than 100 beehives on city rooftops, balconies, backyards, and in community gardens around Sydney, Australia. He is a beekeeping teacher and speaker, a past president of the Amateur Beekeepers’ Association, and is featured regularly as a bee expert on TV – so, as you may be able to guess, Doug is a wealth of information and I ask him questions about bees, bees in relation to farming, is honey unkind to bees and future for bees and of course all the practicalities of supporting bees and maybe even starting a beehive!
Questions I asked Doug:
- Where did your passion for bees begin?
- I know they say you can’t have a favourite child, but do you have any favourites?
- Do all bees like to ‘hive’ or are there some solo operators out there who enjoy their own company better?
- Let’s make sure people understand the sheer importance of bees to our world – care to share some startling stats?
- And so there are many ways that looking after our bee populations can take shape… anything happening in bee care/protection in agriculture that’s exciting to share?
- And how about what you’ve seen over the past decade in terms of bees coming back into the urban landscape?
- So how would we go about assessing if we’ve got a good space/area to have a beehive?
- What are some of the ways things can go wrong in the early days and how can we avoid those and have hive success?
- How much honey can we expect to produce? Is it mean to take wax and honey from hives? Are there more ethical ways than others to do it?
- How can we keep our bees healthy and thriving?
- If we don’t, what can we do to keep bees happy and give them lovely plants to hang out in or pollinate?
- What can we do to let local council people and area MPs know we want to ensure bees are being given all the things they need to thrive in our area?
Doug Purdie, along with his business partner Vicky Brown at The Urban Beehive, maintains more than 100 beehives on city rooftops, balconies, backyards, and in community gardens around Sydney. He is a beekeeping teacher and speaker, a past president of the Amateur Beekeepers’ Association, and is featured regularly as a bee expert on TV and in other media.
Other Helpful Links:
Know more about Doug and his work: https://theurbanbeehive.com.au/
This week’s Show Sponsors:
Ausclimate’s highly recommended range of WINIX Air Purifiers are the ideal solution for cleaner, healthier indoor air. Easy to use, reactive features and settings with a truly comprehensive 4-5 stages of purification, including Hospital Grade True HEPA Filtration and Winix’s unique PlasmaWave® technology. Perfect for smoke, dust, pests, viruses, bacteria, household odours, and allergies (covering a variety of allergens). Breathe easier, sleep better and feel better. Winix; the most complete air-purifiers on the market!
OFFER FOR AUSSIE PEEPS: Ausclimate is now giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 10% OFF their already discounted prices on ausclimate.com.au. Simply enter the discount code upon checkout. This discount can also be redeemed for over-the-phone orders verbally.
It captures 100% of airborne particles as small as 0.003 microns in size and the vast majority of VOCs. Instantly Improve the Quality of your Indoor Air with AirDoctor.
OFFER FOR U.S. PEEPS: Up to $300 off plus FREE shipping on all orders when you shop HERE.
Enjoy the show,