Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – The place to bring your low tox life to life.
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – MORE DETAILS AND REGISTRATION HERE.
Low Tox Life Food – Now available!
It’s packed with inspiration and stories from regenerative farmers, checklists for what to ask about the produce you buy, ways to afford better choices, as well as 80 of Alexx’s most requested recipes for budget-friendly, easily adaptable meals without waste.
If you want to feel more certain and more hopeful about the future of food and our planet, this book is for you – Order yours today!
And on this week’s show!
On this week’s show, I have the wonderful Brendan Vermeire, aka the Holistic Savage, on the show to talk about his passion for mental health. We are talking about neuroinflammation specifically and a variety of root causes – including a modern life of less resistance building and then we move through to interventions to support the healing of the body as well as the building of resilience. Clue: Many of them are painfully simple!
Brendan is a Mental and Metabolic Health Scientist & Researcher, Functional Medicine Educator, Writer, and Speaker. He is a Board-Certified Holistic Health Practitioner, Master Nutrition Coach, Master Personal Trainer, USAW Sports Performance Coach, and Crossfit Trainer. He began his career as a personal trainer and nutrition coach at the age of 18 after disappointingly being medically discharged from the United States Navy Seal training pipeline due to an injury. After being exposed to the power of functional lab testing in the start of his career, he began intensely pursuing that as a career path which has led him to be widely regarded as one of the top leading experts in Metabolic Health and Functional Education.
He is the proud owner and founder of the Metabolic Solutions Institute for Functional Health and Fitness Practitioners, and the Metabolic Solutions Research & Education Foundation, a not-for-profit foundation dedicated to ‘changing the way the world views mental health’ through advancing the science of Mental Health Dysfunction. He is also the creator of The Mental M.A.P.TM, a cutting-edge Lab Panel for Mental Health.
When he’s not educating doctors/practitioners/professionals, helping clients overcome their most severe health struggles, or producing cutting-edge scientific education, Brendan enjoys all things fitness and is probably working out. He also enjoys anything in nature and any activities that expand his heart, mind, and soul.
Questions I asked John:
- Let’s talk about a wellness mindset – what is the research on how our mindset and attitude affects our overall health?
- How successfully can we rewire our mindset to be a positive one? Can we teach our kids too if we’re parents? Tips/tools?
- Now to talk about energy saps and negative influence/indulgence.
- Polarising energy/beliefs and reminding ourselves we’re more common than we are different: There is a propensity to get stuck in the weeds on the granular and how I feel is that this kind of engagement detracts us from progress – What are your thoughts on effective discourse and debate that keeps us moving forward and how can we best show up in our own lives on issues that matter to us and our planet?
- Now thinking of our internal conflicts: Self-sabotage: why are we our own worst enemies? What kinds of stories, trauma, conditioning might lead us to self sabotage? How do we know if something really isn’t viable/worth trying vs if it’s our lizard brain telling us to stay ‘safe’ and ‘comfortable’.
- Most of your thoughts are not actually yours, right? So is building a more discerning relationship with our thoughts a good idea in all of this?
- And if we realise we might be fighting against ourselves how do we go about being our best cheerleader?
- Burn out/chronic stress – rehab + prevention… A lot of people have come out of bushfires/wildfires we’ve never seen, floods that get called 100 year floods or storms that seem to now be every few years, over 2 years of pandemic, worry about global conflict escalation… Many people feel like they’re in the trenches… What is the power of asking ourselves questions, and 10 questions to ask to get yourself out of the trenches? (I know for me it was bushfires, pandemic, moving house 7 times because of mould illness and badly maintained houses, all while writing my second book… I gotta say, I’ve found it hard to come back to my vibrant, powerhouse, purpose-ninja self after all that and I still feel a lot of gratitude… will share my personal reflection there to give weight and a live example to the section)
- You are a champion for the importance and power of gratitude and we’ve talked extensively about it before but I feel it can’t be talked about enough, so I’ll ask you this: why is it a recipe for success and what don’t we know about gratitude?
About Dr. John Demartini
Dr. John Demartini is a world-leading human behaviour specialist, researcher, best-selling author, educator, and founder of the Demartini Method – a revolutionary tool in modern psychology. He has authored 40 books that have been translated into 39 different languages and presented his insights alongside some of the world’s most influential people, including Sir Richard Branson and Deepak Chopra.
Harnessing almost five decades of research across multiple disciplines, Dr Demartini shares his life, business, financial, relationship, and leadership empowerment strategies with people all over the globe – enabling them to transform their lives according to their highest values.
This week’s sponsors:
Ausclimate’s highly recommended range of WINIX Air Purifiers is the ideal solution for cleaner, healthier indoor air. Easy to use, reactive features and settings with a truly comprehensive 4-5 stages of purification, including Hospital Grade True HEPA Filtration and Winix’s unique PlasmaWave® technology. Perfect for smoke, dust, pets, viruses, bacteria, household odours, and allergies (covering a variety of allergens). Breathe easier, sleep better and feel better. Winix; the most complete air-purifiers on the market!
Offer: Ausclimate is now giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 10% OFF their already discounted prices on Ausclimate.com.au – Simply enter the discount code of LOWTOXLIFE on check out. This discount can also be redeemed for over-the-phone orders verbally.
Soil is like our skin in many ways. Weleda cares for the soil of the Earth-like our skin, keeping it naturally healthy and as biodiverse as possible. Weleda is advancing regenerative agriculture through 50 soil conservation projects and helping local, sustainable agriculture projects to expand. Weleda’s goal is to grow this number to 60 partnerships. Its new agricultural management standard will increase the proportion of biodynamically grown ingredients from 20 %to 40 %.
As of 2022, Weleda is investing an additional 1 % of sales in climate protection, biodiversity and soil conservation. Weleda is certified according to the rigorous quality and sustainability standards of UEBT, B-Corp and NATRUE. Their local impact partner is Carbon8 and they’re donating $2 from every Skin Food product sold in April and May* to help transition Aussie farmers to regenerative agriculture and support them to rebuild the carbon (organic matter) in their soil from 1% to 8%.
Skin Food Body Lotion – Weleda’s new everyday hero brings comfort to dry skin.
Skin Food Body Lotion is the new everyday hero. Inspired by the proven Skin Food formula for rich, intensive skincare. It absorbs quickly, provides intense, long-lasting moisture to dry skin and envelops it in the iconic Skin Food scent.
- comfort food for the skin
- made with natural plant extracts and rich oils
- nourishes dry and very dry skin intensely
- light texture, absorbs quickly
- 100% certified natural
- packaging made from 97% recycled plastic (excluding cap and label)
- vegan formula
OFFER: SAVE 20% off* all Weleda products from www.weleda.com.au.
Valid: 01 April – 07 May 2022. *excludes gift vouchers, gift packs and promotional/sales items.
Other helpful links:
Free Training: https://drdemartini.com/masterclass/
Flood Donation Resources for Lismore/Northern Rivers and Brisbane:
What do donate: Cash/Books in any of these categories: Adult Fiction/Large Print Books/Junior & Young Adult Books/Children’s Story Books/Children’s DVDs/Jigsaws/Audio Books/Parenting Collection (non-fiction books on parenting topics)/Junior Non-Fiction Books
- Account Name Lismore City Council – RTRL Tax Deductible Gift Recipient Account
- BSB 062-565
- Account Number 10864916
Date of deposit
Amount of deposit
What to donate: They are currently accepting cash donations and the following items:
- Car Seats – New or Pre-loved
- Prams – New or Pre-loved
- Portacots, Cots, and Bassinets – New or Pre-loved
- Baby Carriers – New or Pre-loved
- Baby Food – ONLY (Can’t accept other food items)
- Nappy Cream
- Nappies, Wipes, and Formula
To donate cash, you can go here.
For more deets on their different drop-off locations and their opening hours, go here.
They’re also on IG @babygiveback.
Animal Rescue Cooperative is focused on supporting food, water treatment, pumps, and containment for Animals caught up in the huge QLD/NSW Floods.
To start donating, you can click here. They are also a tax deductive gift recipient with DGR and you will be issued a receipt.
Micah Projects Limited is still in need of your generous donations to help to continue to provide individuals and families with access to safe and affordable accommodation, utilities, food, and furniture. It will help prevent the marginalisation of the already marginalised population so they can get back on their feet with dignity and safety.
Ukraine Relief Resources:
A global team of humanitarians working together on the front lines is on the ground in Ukraine, Romania, and Poland, providing funding to local organizations that know their community needs best and working to meet urgent humanitarian needs.
A non-profit providing medical aid in Ukraine and supporting medical teams on the frontline
Enjoy the show,