Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – The place to bring your low tox life to life.
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – MORE DETAILS AND REGISTRATION HERE.
Low Tox Life Food – Now available!
It’s packed with inspiration and stories from regenerative farmers, checklists for what to ask about the produce you buy, ways to afford better choices, as well as 80 of Alexx’s most requested recipes for budget-friendly, easily adaptable meals without waste.
If you want to feel more certain and more hopeful about the future of food and our planet, this book is for you – Order yours today!
And on this week’s show!
Trigger warning: Today’s show is about addiction and my guest, Kylie Butler, coming through addiction herself as an alcoholic and moving through and beyond it to support others. Kylie is a career and recovery coach after many years in corporate prior to her facing her addiction. She takes us through what the addiction spectrum looks like, how what you thought was happy might not have been, paving the way for addiction to develop, how to navigate recovery and relapse to truly get the support you need to thrive beyond addiction. It’s a powerful show for those who need this in their lives right now.
Questions I asked Kylie:
- Your passion for supporting people in moving beyond addiction is a personal one. Let’s start there.
- Something not talked about enough over the past two years is just how much the pandemic has driven an already prevalent mental health crisis and given dramatic rise to addiction and depression? Can you talk us through some stats?
- What is addiction & what makes someone an alcoholic or addict?
- Let’s talk specifically about alcohol: How does alcohol impact the body and mind – the true effects? Short and long term? Deficiencies that creep up as our liver becomes weaker? Neurotransmitter signalling damage, no doubt (that might have already been there prior and contributed to the addiction?
- What is a “high functioning alcoholic?” and how do people hide this serious problem?
- What are some of the risk factors that hint we might need to have addiction on our radars either as family, friends, or for ourselves (risk factors such as ADD, or seeing people brush off concern or get defensive, habits suddenly change, desire to do favourite things falls away, etc…)
- In those moments, how can we more effectively support the people we love or ourselves if we know we’re slipping somewhere worrying?
- How can one recover (without going to an inpatient facility)? And when might an inpatient facility be called for? Is there a difference?
- How can we move beyond addictions? I remember when my husband and I quit smoking back in 2005, he replaced his habit with a mountain biking habit. Is replacing addictions with a more positive passion a good thing to try and do? Other things?
About Kylie Butler
Kylie is the host of the popular podcast, A Meaningful Life by Design, Founder of From Here On, Inspired EVP, and A Meaningful Life by Design. She is an Entrepreneur, Career and Recovery Coach. and former People & Culture Leader of 15 years. She has lived and worked across the globe in London, Rome, Sydney, and more recently Byron Bay and Bali. Kylie has been featured in Harper’s Bazaar and Women’s Health & Fitness among other publications.
Her broader message — that a meaningful life is built on living within your values and bringing your unique gifts to the world through an inspired career has motivated women across the globe to transform their careers and build lives they truly love.
Her deep desire to share a more specific message – we can recover, there is no one way that is right for everyone but with an understanding of complex trauma the neuroscience of addiction, Recovery Coaching, support of fellowships, and a holistic approach it is possible to thrive after suffering the darkest of addictions.
This week’s sponsors:
Ausclimate’s highly recommended range of WINIX Air Purifiers is the ideal solution for cleaner, healthier indoor air. Easy to use, reactive features and settings with a truly comprehensive 4-5 stages of purification, including Hospital Grade True HEPA Filtration and Winix’s unique PlasmaWave® technology. Perfect for smoke, dust, pets, viruses, bacteria, household odours, and allergies (covering a variety of allergens). Breathe easier, sleep better and feel better. Winix; the most complete air-purifiers on the market!
Offer: Ausclimate is now giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 10% OFF their already discounted prices on Ausclimate.com.au – Simply enter the discount code of LOWTOXLIFE on check out. This discount can also be redeemed for over-the-phone orders verbally.
Soil is like our skin in many ways. Weleda cares for the soil of the Earth-like our skin, keeping it naturally healthy and as biodiverse as possible. Weleda is advancing regenerative agriculture through 50 soil conservation projects and helping local, sustainable agriculture projects to expand. Weleda’s goal is to grow this number to 60 partnerships. Its new agricultural management standard will increase the proportion of biodynamically grown ingredients from 20 %to 40 %.
As of 2022, Weleda is investing an additional 1 % of sales in climate protection, biodiversity and soil conservation. Weleda is certified according to the rigorous quality and sustainability standards of UEBT, B-Corp and NATRUE. Their local impact partner is Carbon8 and they’re donating $2 from every Skin Food product sold in April and May* to help transition Aussie farmers to regenerative agriculture and support them to rebuild the carbon (organic matter) in their soil from 1% to 8%.
Skin Food Body Lotion – Weleda’s new everyday hero brings comfort to dry skin.
Skin Food Body Lotion is the new everyday hero. Inspired by the proven Skin Food formula for rich, intensive skincare. It absorbs quickly, provides intense, long-lasting moisture to dry skin and envelops it in the iconic Skin Food scent.
- comfort food for the skin
- made with natural plant extracts and rich oils
- nourishes dry and very dry skin intensely
- light texture, absorbs quickly
- 100% certified natural
- packaging made from 97% recycled plastic (excluding cap and label)
- vegan formula
OFFER: SAVE 20% off* all Weleda products from www.weleda.com.au.
Valid: 01 April – 07 May 2022. *excludes gift vouchers, gift packs and promotional/sales items.
Other helpful links:
Flood Donation Resources for Lismore/Northern Rivers and Brisbane:
What do donate: Cash/Books in any of these categories: Adult Fiction/Large Print Books/Junior & Young Adult Books/Children’s Story Books/Children’s DVDs/Jigsaws/Audio Books/Parenting Collection (non-fiction books on parenting topics)/Junior Non-Fiction Books
- Account Name Lismore City Council – RTRL Tax Deductible Gift Recipient Account
- BSB 062-565
- Account Number 10864916
Date of deposit
Amount of deposit
What to donate: They are currently accepting cash donations and the following items:
- Car Seats – New or Pre-loved
- Prams – New or Pre-loved
- Portacots, Cots, and Bassinets – New or Pre-loved
- Baby Carriers – New or Pre-loved
- Baby Food – ONLY (Can’t accept other food items)
- Nappy Cream
- Nappies, Wipes, and Formula
To donate cash, you can go here.
For more deets on their different drop-off locations and their opening hours, go here.
They’re also on IG @babygiveback.
Animal Rescue Cooperative is focused on supporting food, water treatment, pumps, and containment for Animals caught up in the huge QLD/NSW Floods.
To start donating, you can click here. They are also a tax deductive gift recipient with DGR and you will be issued a receipt.
Micah Projects Limited is still in need of your generous donations to help to continue to provide individuals and families with access to safe and affordable accommodation, utilities, food, and furniture. It will help prevent the marginalisation of the already marginalised population so they can get back on their feet with dignity and safety.
Ukraine Relief Resources:
A global team of humanitarians working together on the front lines is on the ground in Ukraine, Romania, and Poland, providing funding to local organizations that know their community needs best and working to meet urgent humanitarian needs.
A non-profit providing medical aid in Ukraine and supporting medical teams on the frontline
Enjoy the show,