Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – The place to bring your low tox life to life.
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – MORE DETAILS AND REGISTRATION HERE.
Low Tox Life Food – Now available!
It’s packed with inspiration and stories from regenerative farmers, checklists for what to ask about the produce you buy, ways to afford better choices, as well as 80 of Alexx’s most requested recipes for budget-friendly, easily adaptable meals without waste.
If you want to feel more certain and more hopeful about the future of food and our planet, this book is for you – Order yours today!
And on this week’s show!
Have you or someone you know, been sick for a while now? Today I interview someone who’s been in the business of helping people heal from chronic pain and chronic illnesses such as autoimmune conditions, chronic fatigue, tick infections and mould to name a few. Dr. Gary Kaplan is the medical director of the Kaplan Center in Mclean Virginia the first integrative medical center in the Washington DC area. He is a clinical associate professor at Georgetown University School of Medicine and the author of the book WHY You Are Still Sick: Infections that break your immune system and how you can recover. His expertise includes the following: chronic illness, Lyme disease, ME/CFS, chronic pain, mold toxicity, sleep disorders, PANS/PANDAS, neuropsychiatric disease secondary to autoimmunity from infections, and longevity medicine. I hope this show brings you a deeper understanding of what’s going on when we become chronically ill and how we might start making steps towards real healing.
Questions I asked Gary:
- When did you realise the immune system was going to be your baby, of all the things you could specialise in?
- Did you and your family grow up well or were there constant infections/illnesses growing up?
- A lot of people are sick today, not necessarily with a life-threatening disease, while tragically there are many of these people too, but what I’m interested to ask you, given your specialisation, is about people sick for long periods of chronically below-par illness to varying degrees: What are some of the reasons for this?
- Can we have a 101 on what makes up the immune system from cells to locations within the body?
- And when something is a threat – what happens differently depending on the threat or is it all contributing like a soup of ingredients to a collective weakening/malfunction? (Ie allergy response, bacterial infection response, viral response, parasite, and as you importantly share in your book environmental/psychological toxins…)
- And so autoimmunity: again, beginner’s mind: What is happening when we have an autoimmune issue?
- What is the history of autoimmune – have all these diseases always been there and we now just know what to call them because of diagnostic articulation advancement or are they increasing in frequency/severity in the modern world?
- Is there something worse about the mould today we’re exposed to? Worse about the ticks when we get bitten? Other environmental assaults that are shown in the research to contribute to more and more immune dysfunction?
- You’re passionate about neuro-psychiatric disease that appears secondary to autoimmunity – I’m sadly no stranger to this as someone who has all but recovered from CIRS – can you share what you’re seeing in the research/in clinic and how someone might know that they need an integrative physician perhaps before assuming it’s ‘all mental health related’.
About Dr. Gary Kaplan
Dr. Gary Kaplan is the medical director of the Kaplan Center in Mclean Virginia the first integrative medical center in the Washington DC area. He is a clinical associate professor at George then University School of Medicine and author of the book WHY You Are Still Sick infections that break your immune system and how you can recover. His expertise includes the following: medicine chronic illness Lyme disease ME/CFS chronic pain, mold toxicity, sleep disorders, PANS/PANDAS, neuropsychiatric disease secondary to autoimmunity from infections, and longevity medicine.
This week’s sponsors:
Ausclimate’s highly recommended range of WINIX Air Purifiers is the ideal solution for cleaner, healthier indoor air. Easy to use, reactive features and settings with a truly comprehensive 4-5 stages of purification, including Hospital Grade True HEPA Filtration and Winix’s unique PlasmaWave® technology. Perfect for smoke, dust, pets, viruses, bacteria, household odours, and allergies (covering a variety of allergens). Breathe easier, sleep better and feel better. Winix; the most complete air-purifiers on the market!
Offer: Ausclimate is now giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 10% OFF their already discounted prices on Ausclimate.com.au – Simply enter the discount code of LOWTOXLIFE on check out. This discount can also be redeemed for over-the-phone orders verbally.
Complete Home Filtration is Australia’s number one whole-home water filter, reducing harmful chemicals from all the water in your home. Enjoy fresh filtered water from every tap of your home and treat your body to water as nature had intended it to be… free from harmful chemicals like chlorine and chloramine.
The Complete Home Filtration product range has expanded over the last year to include a larger filtration system for bigger homes, rainwater systems, and more!
Offer: Get 20% off the RRP when you use the discount code LOWTOXLIFE
Other helpful links:
You can receive a copy of the first chapter of Why You’re Still Sick via their website: https://kaplanclinic.com/
Enjoy the show,