Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – The place to bring your low tox life to life.
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – MORE DETAILS AND REGISTRATION HERE.
Low Tox Life Food – Now available!
It’s packed with inspiration and stories from regenerative farmers, checklists for what to ask about the produce you buy, ways to afford better choices, as well as 80 of Alexx’s most requested recipes for budget-friendly, easily adaptable meals without waste.
If you want to feel more certain and more hopeful about the future of food and our planet, this book is for you – Order yours today!
And on this week’s show!
Care about the health of your home’s indoor air? Sensitive to a variety of chemicals and need to look at what’s happening in your home? We think about home fragrance, mold and our cleaning products but how about how long a kitchen cabinet takes to off-gas or just how low VOC that paint really is- Ah, it never ends, does it? This week to help us NOT freak out about building materials and get so many valuable tips about choosing a home if you’re renting through to choosing materials if you’re building or renovating, Andy Pace is the perfect guide through it all. Andrew Pace is a Healthy Home Concierge and Founder of The Green Design Center, a leading resource for homeowners and contractors looking to source products that are healthy and green and receive expert consulting advice on designing and building healthy green homes. He is a worldwide expert on green and healthy building products and works with customers and contractors from around the globe. As founder of the oldest healthy building supply company in the United States, Andrew has become one of the single most helpful and educational experts dealing with the day-to-day concerns of those individuals who suffer from allergies, asthma and chemical sensitivities.
Questions I asked Andrew:
- Where did your passion for building health as a reflection of human health stem from?
- In the history of building design what have been some improvements/failings as the industry has sought to modernise/create efficiencies/conserve energy?
- I connected with your work when a colleague, who knew my history of illness linked intimately to the buildings in which we lived, forwarded me the story of Mike Bender which brought me to tears several times, it was so close to my own story and you were one of the experts who helped him on his journey. How were you able to help him? In what context did you join the team (and I’ll be sharing the article in our show notes)
- What have you seen as some of the biggest game changers for sensitive types/people with chemical sensitivity or mast cell activation, when it comes to choosing building materials?
- Something I worry about is ‘environmentally friendly’ building and building materials that at first glance seem a great idea, but what about the reconstituted plastic materials off-gassing when it’s hot or what about the air-tight buildings getting easily too humid inside – I mean there, we’re talking about vapours that would potentially be endocrine disruptive or buildings that are too humid and encouraging mould growth – can do we healthy for us AND good for the planet moving forward?
- I’m not sure whether it’s because I’ve had sick building syndrome and therefore started sharing my story and supporting others with chronic issues that could be due to their homes, and therefore being more in tune with it, but it seems like we’re now starting to learn more and more stories every day of people around the world dealing with this… is building-related illness becoming more prevalent? If so why?
- Let’s talk about the biggest priorities to impact the health of your home – for all, for the renter, for the homeowner and for the person considering building soon… (why is humidity control so important, what are VOC’s and why should we care etc and we look at the most important so that each type of dweller can feel agency).
About Andy Pace
Andrew Pace is a Healthy Home Concierge and Founder of The Green Design Center, a leading resource for homeowners and contractors looking to source products that are healthy and green and receive expert consulting advice on designing and building healthy green homes. Andrew is the host of the weekly Non Toxic Environments Podcast. He is a worldwide expert on green and healthy building products and services customers and contractors from around the globe. As founder of the oldest healthy building supply company in the United States, Andrew has become one of the single most helpful and educational experts dealing with the day-to-day concerns of those individuals who suffer from allergies, asthma and chemical sensitivities.
This week’s sponsors:
Ausclimate’s highly recommended range of WINIX Air Purifiers is the ideal solution for cleaner, healthier indoor air. Easy to use, reactive features and settings with a truly comprehensive 4-5 stages of purification, including Hospital Grade True HEPA Filtration and Winix’s unique PlasmaWave® technology. Perfect for smoke, dust, pets, viruses, bacteria, household odours, and allergies (covering a variety of allergens). Breathe easier, sleep better and feel better. Winix; the most complete air-purifiers on the market!
Offer: Ausclimate is now giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 10% OFF their already discounted prices on Ausclimate.com.au – Simply enter the discount code of LOWTOXLIFE on check out via: https://www.ausclimate.com.au/
This discount can also be redeemed for over-the-phone orders verbally.
Peak Chocolate. Chocolate with Benefits. All Australian family business that has created healthy no sugar dark chocolates with benefits, through our carefully chosen supplements. We left out all the nasties in most chocolates, so you can enjoy it guilt free.Website: https://www.peakchocolate.com.au
Offer: Get 20% off of Peak Chocolate products with the code LOWTOX20. This code is valid for one-time use only.
Other helpful links:
Check out The Green Design Center for more info.
Enjoy the show,