Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – The place to bring your low tox life to life.
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – MORE DETAILS AND REGISTRATION HERE.
Low Tox Life Food – Now available!
It’s packed with inspiration and stories from regenerative farmers, checklists for what to ask about the produce you buy, ways to afford better choices, as well as 80 of Alexx’s most requested recipes for budget-friendly, easily adaptable meals without waste.
If you want to feel more certain and more hopeful about the future of food and our planet, this book is for you – Order yours today!
And on this week’s show!
Did you feel connected, supported and ready as you headed into adulthood? Did you know yourself? Well Jeff Lieberman didn’t and had a really tough time of teen life and early adulthood, despite from the outside looking like an all-star student and human with 4 university degrees, a successful large-scale art business and hosting a show on the History Channel. Jeff jokes that he learned quantum mechanics before learning about his emotions but is quick to point out the tragedy of this. He marvels at the fact that we can measure the external universe to 10-decimal accuracy, but most of us don’t learn about our insides: our emotions, what leads to flourishing, how to take great care of ourselves. Years of personal exploration transformed him, leading to a determination to not have the road to joy be difficult for others to find. He has spent the last 15 years training in meditation, personal development, and group dynamics for well being, facilitating high school students through a 3-week intensive and adults through an 18-month program. His new camp Sleepawake has had incredible results and in today’s show you’ll get a window into just how much we can do now, and for our young adults and teens, to steer a happier, healthier course as connected, purposeful individuals and communities
Questions I asked Jeff:
- 4 degrees, TV host, famed artist – What have you learned about success?
- Someone hitting all these home runs from the outside can be deeply sad and disconnected – did you have any support when you felt like that? Was there a person who stood out during that time for you?
- Education: I always say that one of my greatest shocks was the realisation that I could complete 17 years of formal education and still not know about what I put on or in my body and how it affects me or the planet – you had a similar aha realising that in science you could measure the universe to 10 decimal accuracy but not know about your emotions or insides. Where did that realisation take you?
- What have been some of the key learnings as you’ve studied meditation, personal development?
- Something you talk about is what the best group dynamics are for wellbeing: I’m curious to unpack that as we often talk about the ‘self’ in wellbeing yet in happiness studies, thinking outside the self and interacting in healthy groups is one of the surest tickets to wellbeing – it’s not just about working on ‘me’ right?
- What led you, in all your study in these personal development areas, to want to focus on young adults?
- Sleepawake: how did it come about as an experience cultivation?
About Jeff Lieberman
By external measures, he was incredibly successful. But inside, something was missing. This disconnect led him to a deep depression in high school, and chronic pain for almost 20 years after that.
Jeff learned quantum mechanics before learning about his emotions. He marvels at the fact that we can measure the external universe to 10-decimal accuracy, but most of us don’t learn about our insides: our emotions, what leads to flourishing, how to take great care of ourselves. Years of personal exploration transformed him, leading to a determination to not have the road to joy be difficult for others to find.
He has spent the last 15 years training in meditation, personal development, and group dynamics for well being, facilitating high school students through a 3-week intensive and adults through an 18-month program. He speaks around the world on the topics of art, science, education, healing, and consciousness. See more of his work at bea.st.
This week’s sponsors:
Ausclimate’s highly recommended range of WINIX Air Purifiers is the ideal solution for cleaner, healthier indoor air. Easy to use, reactive features and settings with a truly comprehensive 4-5 stages of purification, including Hospital Grade True HEPA Filtration and Winix’s unique PlasmaWave® technology. Perfect for smoke, dust, pets, viruses, bacteria, household odours, and allergies (covering a variety of allergens). Breathe easier, sleep better and feel better. Winix; the most complete air-purifiers on the market!
Offer: Ausclimate is now giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 10% OFF their already discounted prices on Ausclimate.com.au – Simply enter the discount code of LOWTOXLIFE on check out via: https://www.ausclimate.com.au/
This discount can also be redeemed for over-the-phone orders verbally.
50 years and 5 generations of family soapmaking. Dr. Bronner’s was founded in 1948 by Emanuel Bronner, a third-generation master soapmaker from a German-Jewish soapmaking family. He used the labels on his superb ecological soaps to spread his message that we must realize our unity across religious & ethnic divides or perish: “We are All-One or None!” Still family-owned and run, Dr. Bronner’s honors its founder’s vision by continuing to make socially & environmentally responsible products of the highest quality, and by dedicating our profits to help make a better world. All-One!
Throughout our history, travelers, backpackers, and other outdoor enthusiasts have been known to take Dr. Bronner’s multi-use soaps on adventures and long hikes outdoors because of its safe, effective, and biodegradable plant-based ingredients, and because of their versatility,” said Michael Bronner, President of Dr. Bronner’s and grandson of founder Emanuel Bronner. “A little of our concentrated liquid soap goes a long way, so you can lighten your load wherever you go.
Not only are Dr. Bronner’s soaps made with fair trade certified and organic certified oils, they are also widely known as one of the most versatile soaps available. Dr. Bronner’s soaps may be used for cleaning in a variety of ways while hiking, camping, and during a variety of outdoor adventures, including:
- Personal hygiene: use for showers and washing hands
- Cooling off on a hot day: Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint-scented soap on a damp cloth or scarf is an excellent way to cool off after an intense activity.
- Washing dishes after a meal around a campfire or in a cottage or cabin.
- Handwashing clothes, muddy boots, or water shoes.
- Cleaning sporting equipment.
- Washing and rinsing fruits, vegetables, or any wild edibles that have been safely identified.
Available in-store: David Jones and Priceline as well as online: The Iconic (‘considered’ section) and Adore Beauty (‘clean beauty’ section).