Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – The place to bring your low tox life to life.
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – MORE DETAILS AND REGISTRATION HERE.
Low Tox Life Food – Now available!
It’s packed with inspiration and stories from regenerative farmers, checklists for what to ask about the produce you buy, ways to afford better choices, as well as 80 of Alexx’s most requested recipes for budget-friendly, easily adaptable meals without waste.
If you want to feel more certain and more hopeful about the future of food and our planet, this book is for you – Order yours today!
And on this week’s show!
Are you or someone you know experiencing heavy, painful periods or suspecting/diagnosed with endometriosis? Today’s guest, Alexandra Middleton received so little care in her early journey that she quit investment banking and studied naturopathy to better understand and support her disease and then work to support other women in clinical practice. Endometriosis has been vastly underdiagnosed with hundreds and thousands of women complaining of debilitating symptoms and pain with nothing more than a suggestion of a pain killer and rest. In today’s show we discuss what’s at play, what some of the root causes can be that contribute to the development and progression of endometriosis, and how looking after ourselves and our environment is key as we heal and recover – with or without surgical intervention. Please share it far and wide with those who might benefit from the support and guidance.
Questions I asked Alexandra:
- There are a lot of things human bodies need help with – what personally drew you to endo?
- Now that more light has been shone on the disease – what picture is emerging about how many women are affected/were perhaps overlooked/undiagnosed?
- What are the evidence-based underlying drivers of endometriosis that are not recognised by conventional medicine practitioners?
- Why this gap? where is it in the science/how are naturopaths seemingly better placed right now to guide a client through, save for of course the surgical intervention sometimes required? Is there a hope fo more collaboration to best support women?
- What are the top environmental risk factors that could be driving a woman’s endo symptoms? Would be good to focus in particular on: mould, “clean beauty”, iron, pesticides, phthalates, parabens and things found in the water (microplastics, seafood, heavy metals, parasites, seafood, viruses like COVID-19, metabolites from drugs like the OCP and antibiotics) and dental materials (fluoride, amalgam).
- How do environmental stressors impact the body, and how does this contribute to the development of endometriosis?
- Why is it just as important to efficiently assess a women with endo’s internal environment as well as her external environment? – discussion around infections (gut, gynaecological, viral) that can drive endo that are regularly missed by conventional testing methods
- The importance of detoxing from IVF drugs if you have endo or any disease that is influenced by poor oestrogen clearance (such as breast/uterine cancer, fibroids,etc)
- Food and endo – are there any nutritional strategies or ways of eating that are preferred clinically or does it come down to bioindividual immunology/genetics profile of a person as to what’s going to work best?
About Alexandra Middleton
Alex is an experienced naturopathic nutritionist with over a decades’ experience in helping women optimise their hormones, fertility & reproductive health. Her special mission is to show women with endometriosis how to conquer their pain, fatigue and infertility thru the combined powers of natural, environmental and conventional medicine.
Alex’s approach is grounded in the principals of both naturopathic and evidence-based medicine. She is passionate about incorporating the latest research into her clinical practice, including her own research work with the National Institute of Complimentary Medicine (NICM). She also works extensively with the Australian medical community to ensure the best possible outcomes for her clients.
Outside of her clinic, Alex is a passionate advocate for the natural medicine industry, supporting lobbying activities thru her work with the Australian Traditional Medicine Society (ATMS). On behalf of ATMS she also runs Australia’s largest Continuing Professional Education program for fellow clinicians who want to stay on top of the latest science.
This week’s sponsors:
Ausclimate’s highly recommended range of WINIX Air Purifiers is the ideal solution for cleaner, healthier indoor air. Easy to use, reactive features and settings with a truly comprehensive 4-5 stages of purification, including Hospital Grade True HEPA Filtration and Winix’s unique PlasmaWave® technology. Perfect for smoke, dust, pets, viruses, bacteria, household odours, and allergies (covering a variety of allergens). Breathe easier, sleep better and feel better. Winix; the most complete air-purifiers on the market!
Offer: Ausclimate is now giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 10% OFF their already discounted prices on Ausclimate.com.au – Simply enter the discount code of LOWTOXLIFE on check out via: https://www.ausclimate.com.au/
This discount can also be redeemed for over-the-phone orders verbally.
50 years and 5 generations of family soapmaking. Dr. Bronner’s was founded in 1948 by Emanuel Bronner, a third-generation master soapmaker from a German-Jewish soapmaking family. He used the labels on his superb ecological soaps to spread his message that we must realize our unity across religious & ethnic divides or perish: “We are All-One or None!” Still family-owned and run, Dr. Bronner’s honors its founder’s vision by continuing to make socially & environmentally responsible products of the highest quality, and by dedicating our profits to help make a better world. All-One!
Throughout our history, travelers, backpackers, and other outdoor enthusiasts have been known to take Dr. Bronner’s multi-use soaps on adventures and long hikes outdoors because of its safe, effective, and biodegradable plant-based ingredients, and because of their versatility,” said Michael Bronner, President of Dr. Bronner’s and grandson of founder Emanuel Bronner. “A little of our concentrated liquid soap goes a long way, so you can lighten your load wherever you go.
Not only are Dr. Bronner’s soaps made with fair trade certified and organic certified oils, they are also widely known as one of the most versatile soaps available. Dr. Bronner’s soaps may be used for cleaning in a variety of ways while hiking, camping, and during a variety of outdoor adventures, including:
- Personal hygiene: use for showers and washing hands
- Cooling off on a hot day: Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint-scented soap on a damp cloth or scarf is an excellent way to cool off after an intense activity.
- Washing dishes after a meal around a campfire or in a cottage or cabin.
- Handwashing clothes, muddy boots, or water shoes.
- Cleaning sporting equipment.
- Washing and rinsing fruits, vegetables, or any wild edibles that have been safely identified.
Available in-store: David Jones and Priceline as well as online: The Iconic (‘considered’ section) and Adore Beauty (‘clean beauty’ section).
Other Helpful Links: