Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – The place to bring your low tox life to life.
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – MORE DETAILS AND REGISTRATION HERE.
Low Tox Life Food – Now available!
It’s packed with inspiration and stories from regenerative farmers, checklists for what to ask about the produce you buy, ways to afford better choices, as well as 80 of Alexx’s most requested recipes for budget-friendly, easily adaptable meals without waste.
If you want to feel more certain and more hopeful about the future of food and our planet, this book is for you – Order yours today!
And on this week’s show!
What does “From Scratch” cooking mean to you? In modern times it’s come to mean making food at home, instead of ordering take-out or packaged snacks. Today, we take “from scratch” to it’s true meaning which is hunting, gathering, fishing and then preparing the food, exploring how that looks around the world, through the work of film maker and story teller, David Moscow. David Moscow is the creator, executive producer, and host of From Scratch and co-author of a book by the same name. He made his feature film debut at age thirteen in Big, starring as the young Tom Hanks; years later, he starred with Christian Bale in Newsies. He has appeared in dozens of films, television shows, and theater productions over a thirty-five year career. Most recently, David founded the production company UnLTD Pictures. He has executive produced more than twenty feature films and he also develops mixed-income sustainably green apartment buildings – in his spare time! I hope you enjoy our exploration and his stories, from FROM SCRATCH: Adventures in Hunting, Fishing, and Foraging on a Fragile Planet.
Questions I asked David:
- What are your first memories of family food culture at your house growing up – typical breakfast was??? What were ‘snacks’ like / was food equated to fun and being branded, being a part of that?
- As an actor you grew up in make believe worlds and I often feel like the modern – especially urban – mainstream food landscape is a make believe world too – where did your interest develop in establishing a deeper connection to provenance of food and real food culture and wisdom?
- And it goes beyond food and films for you, right? You work in sustainable building design also – was there an overall awakening into human impact and a need to design a different future?
- And how did the idea for FROM SCRATCH come about?
- What was the first goose-bumpy moment in filming/scoping where you thought “this is how it should be” or similar moment of realisation/epiphany?
- How have the up-close-and-personal experiences that you have had producing food changed your perception of what you eat and how you prepare it? Have you noticed any changes in your approach to grocery shopping?
- What do you think the ramifications of being so disconnected from the journey our food takes to our plates are?
- Can you share some stories that have given you hope that there is a way to turn the current situation around and return to a sustainable relationship with food?
- What are some ways that individuals can make steps towards more sustainability in their food habits? What lessons can those of us who lead busy lives in cities take from communities who have a close relationship to the origins of their food?
- Why is it necessary for us to be aware of and incorporate the full food cycle into our lives?
About David Moscow
David Moscow is the creator, executive producer, and host of From Scratch. He made his feature film debut at age thirteen in Big, starring as the young Tom Hanks; years later, he starred with Christian Bale in Newsies. He has appeared in dozens of films, television shows, and theater productions over a thirty-five year career.
Most recently, David founded the production company UnLTD Pictures. He has executive produced more than twenty feature films, including Under the Silver Lake, To Dust, Strawberry Mansion, and Wild Nights with Emily. He also directed the thriller Desolation.
David also develops mixed-income sustainably green apartment buildings. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and children.
FROM SCRATCH: Adventures in Hunting, Fishing, and Foraging on a Fragile Planet, is David’s first book.
This week’s sponsors:
Ausclimate’s highly recommended range of WINIX Air Purifiers is the ideal solution for cleaner, healthier indoor air. Easy to use, reactive features and settings with a truly comprehensive 4-5 stages of purification, including Hospital Grade True HEPA Filtration and Winix’s unique PlasmaWave® technology. Perfect for smoke, dust, pets, viruses, bacteria, household odours, and allergies (covering a variety of allergens). Breathe easier, sleep better and feel better. Winix; the most complete air-purifiers on the market!
Offer: Ausclimate is now giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 10% OFF their already discounted prices on Ausclimate.com.au – Simply enter the discount code of LOWTOXLIFE on check out via: https://www.ausclimate.com.au/
This discount can also be redeemed for over-the-phone orders verbally.
SOLIDTEKNICS™ exists to break this toxic and wasteful cycle! Their cookware is designed to be handed down through generations.
They offer a written multi-century warranty for all of our cookware. This is not a marketing gimmick, just solid engineering! They believe in buying once, and buying well. All of their pans are stamped with the month and year of manufacture.
Their proudest moments are when we hear about families planning to hand down their Solidteknics cookware to loved ones; starting an heirloom tradition that they hope will inspire future generations of loving cooks, who respect healthy and sustainable products.
Better for your health, better for the planet
It’s estimated that more than 1.2 million short-lived (disposable), non-stick pans end up in Australian landfills every year. Synthetic, polymer-based non-stick coatings are toxic in production, and toxic when heated due to the gas those coatings emit. Learn more about all that HERE.
Ultimately, when you purchase SOLIDTEKNICS™ products, you’re voting NO to synthetic, disposable pans piling up in landfill and harming our health, and YES to healthy, toxin-free, premium quality cooking tools. Built to last generations.
- 100% Australian made and owned – the only production cookware made in Australia
- Two ranges – iron, made from clean Australian iron, and a non-nickel stainless steel range, which work on all heat sources from induction, to oven to campfire!
- Built from a solid sheet – no clad layers or synthetic, toxic coatings.
- Iron cookware comes seasoned for you with real, natural seasoning so you can get cooking straight away!
- Built to outlive us and be passed down through generations. A one-time investment for many lifetimes of cooking.
Multi-century low tox cookware + utensils offer: Spend $279 or more on any of the items in the range and receive a FREE 18cm AUS-ION Pan worth just under $100. Offer runs until midnight Sunday 18 Dec. Code: LOWTOX
Other Helpful Links: