Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – The place to bring your low tox life to life.
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – MORE DETAILS AND REGISTRATION HERE.
Low Tox Life Food – Now available!
It’s packed with inspiration and stories from regenerative farmers, checklists for what to ask about the produce you buy, ways to afford better choices, as well as 80 of Alexx’s most requested recipes for budget-friendly, easily adaptable meals without waste.
If you want to feel more certain and more hopeful about the future of food and our planet, this book is for you – Order yours today!
And on this week’s show!
This week continuing our health series, I interview Dr. Lucas Tims, medical director of the Riordan Clinic, Kansas, USA. Cancer through the naturopathic doctor lens gives a broader set of options to explore to not only treat the patient but to change the terrain and make the body less hospitable to cancer now and into the future – a key piece of the treatment and healing puzzle sadly missing in conventional care which is “let’s try to kill and zap it and hope it doesn’t return or grow’. It’s inspiring to know Dr. Lucas and other physicians like him are out there providing this holistic care and I hope it’s a helpful show for you, your friends, and any family that might need it right now.
Questions I asked Lucas:
- What are your first memories of family food culture at your house growing up – typical breakfast was??? What were ‘snacks’ like / was food equated to fun and being branded, being a part of that?
- As an actor you grew up in make believe worlds and I often feel like the modern – especially urban – mainstream food landscape is a make believe world too – where did your interest develop in establishing a deeper connection to provenance of food and real food culture and wisdom?
- And it goes beyond food and films for you, right? You work in sustainable building design also – was there an overall awakening into human impact and a need to design a different future?
- And how did the idea for FROM SCRATCH come about?
- What was the first goose-bumpy moment in filming/scoping where you thought “this is how it should be” or similar moment of realisation/epiphany?
- How have the up-close-and-personal experiences that you have had producing food changed your perception of what you eat and how you prepare it? Have you noticed any changes in your approach to grocery shopping?
- What do you think the ramifications of being so disconnected from the journey our food takes to our plates are?
- Can you share some stories that have given you hope that there is a way to turn the current situation around and return to a sustainable relationship with food?
- What are some ways that individuals can make steps towards more sustainability in their food habits? What lessons can those of us who lead busy lives in cities take from communities who have a close relationship to the origins of their food?
- Why is it necessary for us to be aware of and incorporate the full food cycle into our lives?
About Dr. Lucas Tims
Dr. Lucas Tims, ND, FABNO, is medical director of the Riordan Clinic’s location in Overland Park, Kansas. He is a naturopathic doctor who specializes in natural therapies for cancer care, the immune system and more.
Originally from Northwest Arkansas, Dr. Lucas (as he is known to his patients) is a graduate of the University of Arkansas, where he majored in microbiology. He went on to complete his medical training at Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine in Tempe, Arizona, before moving to Tulsa, Oklahoma, for an oncology-focused residency program at Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA).
In 2013, he passed his specialty boards designating him as a Fellow of the American Board of Naturopathic Oncology (FABNO). He has also earned a Metabolic Approach to Cancer certificate from the Metabolic Terrain Institute of Health (MATC certified).
Throughout Dr. Lucas’ 12 years of practice, he has provided Integrative Medicine support for thousands of cancer patients at multiple CTCA hospitals and clinics. As a board-certified, Naturopathic Oncologist, Dr. Lucas is an expert in how to utilize natural therapies to support patients during any phase of treatment or care setting. In early 2018, Dr. Lucas was appointed to a leadership role serving as Medical Director of Integrative Oncology at CTCA’s Western Regional Medical Center.
Dr. Lucas is also a 2020 recipient of the Excellence in Healthcare for Cancer Care recognition by the Wichita Business Journal.
Dr. Lucas was born into a family where nutrition and organic eating were the norm, and in his formative years, he became deeply interested in science and medicine. His upbringing combined with influential mentors during his undergraduate studies helped pave his path toward naturopathic medicine.
In his second year of naturopathic medical school, Dr. Lucas met his future wife. Shortly after they began dating, she was diagnosed with cancer. Helping her through her cancer journey was a turning point for him that fueled his passion for specializing in cancer care.
Throughout his tenure at Riordan Clinic, he has been part of an integrative oncology team offering various naturopathic cancer treatments as well as acupuncture. He works very closely with his patients on diet and lifestyle interventions that promote a healthy immune system and create the right internal climate for the body to heal.
In addition to patient care, Dr. Lucas enjoys doing research, teaching, and writing for medical journals. He is a member, and board member, of the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians and the Society for Integrative Oncology.
This week’s sponsors:
Ausclimate’s highly recommended range of WINIX Air Purifiers is the ideal solution for cleaner, healthier indoor air. Easy to use, reactive features and settings with a truly comprehensive 4-5 stages of purification, including Hospital Grade True HEPA Filtration and Winix’s unique PlasmaWave® technology. Perfect for smoke, dust, pets, viruses, bacteria, household odours, and allergies (covering a variety of allergens). Breathe easier, sleep better and feel better. Winix; the most complete air-purifiers on the market!
Offer: Ausclimate is now giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 10% OFF their already discounted prices on Ausclimate.com.au – Simply enter the discount code of LOWTOXLIFE on check out via: https://www.ausclimate.com.au/
This discount can also be redeemed for over-the-phone orders verbally.
SOLIDTEKNICS™ exists to break this toxic and wasteful cycle! Their cookware is designed to be handed down through generations.
They offer a written multi-century warranty for all of our cookware. This is not a marketing gimmick, just solid engineering! They believe in buying once, and buying well. All of their pans are stamped with the month and year of manufacture.
Their proudest moments are when we hear about families planning to hand down their Solidteknics cookware to loved ones; starting an heirloom tradition that they hope will inspire future generations of loving cooks, who respect healthy and sustainable products.
Better for your health, better for the planet
It’s estimated that more than 1.2 million short-lived (disposable), non-stick pans end up in Australian landfills every year. Synthetic, polymer-based non-stick coatings are toxic in production, and toxic when heated due to the gas those coatings emit. Learn more about all that HERE.
Ultimately, when you purchase SOLIDTEKNICS™ products, you’re voting NO to synthetic, disposable pans piling up in landfill and harming our health, and YES to healthy, toxin-free, premium quality cooking tools. Built to last generations.
- 100% Australian made and owned – the only production cookware made in Australia
- Two ranges – iron, made from clean Australian iron, and a non-nickel stainless steel range, which work on all heat sources from induction, to oven to campfire!
- Built from a solid sheet – no clad layers or synthetic, toxic coatings.
- Iron cookware comes seasoned for you with real, natural seasoning so you can get cooking straight away!
- Built to outlive us and be passed down through generations. A one-time investment for many lifetimes of cooking.
Multi-century low tox cookware + utensils offer: Spend $279 or more on any of the items in the range and receive a FREE 18cm AUS-ION Pan worth just under $100. Offer runs until midnight Sunday 18 Dec. Code: LOWTOX
Other Helpful Links: