Love our new show tune in the intro/outro? It’s talented Australian independent artist Melanie Horsnell’s song “Birds”. So proud to support this wonderful Aussie artist and have her grace the show with her wonderful words and song!
Low Tox Club – The place to bring your low tox life to life.
Want to join a community of like minds and enjoy all the perks of being in the Low Tox Life inner circle such as an online membership platform, 50% off all our Low Tox courses, an awesome chat group, my monthly Q&A, and special guest star interviews for just $49AUD ($29USD/28EUR/23pounds) per YEAR? We have created a special place and set of resources to help you achieve your goals and it’s a wonderful place to be – MORE DETAILS AND REGISTRATION HERE.
Low Tox Life Food – Now available!
It’s packed with inspiration and stories from regenerative farmers, checklists for what to ask about the produce you buy, ways to afford better choices, as well as 80 of Alexx’s most requested recipes for budget-friendly, easily adaptable meals without waste.
If you want to feel more certain and more hopeful about the future of food and our planet, this book is for you – Order yours today!
And on this week’s show!
This week I am thrilled to present you with an example of hope and progress in the regeneration space. With the right tools, funding and action we can rebuild the health of our planet and Professor Adriana Verges and her team are showing us the way with Operation Crayweed on the coast of Sydney, Australia – I’m so inspired to bring you this story because it shows a path of success and once we believe we can be successful in regeneration efforts, we see the evidence and positive effects, we then have more conviction and motivation and the ripple effects are in motion. Professor Vergés’s research focuses on the ecology and conservation of coastal marine habitats. In particular, her team investigates the ecological impacts of climate change in our oceans and develops hands-on restoration solutions to protect and conserve marine ecosystems including seagrass meadows, kelp forests and coral reefs.
Questions I asked Adriana:
- How did you come to be a marine ecologist?
- If you were to give an elevator pitch to a room full of people who had no idea when it came to the relationship between the health of our seas and the health of our planet in a couple of minutes – what would you say to coral them into caring and advocating for change?
- Any myths you wish to bust that you see out there about the truth of the state of our seas?
- What about the underwater seaweed forests on the coastline of Sydney have been devastating?
- What has contributed to this devastation and what is the likelihood of repair/mechanics of repair, ie what’s it going to take?
- In the scheme of climate change, what kind of impact can a global focus on seaweed re-forestation have?
- And the follow-on benefits/positive effects of this reforestation focus, on the sea life?
- What are some of the projects around the world you’ve been inspired by/learned from/worked on where real change has occurred?
- What can we all do to support marine ecologists’ work in our everyday lives/by supporting Operation Crayweed?
About Adriana Verges
Adriana Vergés is a Professor in Marine Ecology at UNSW Sydney and the Sydney Institute of Marine Science. Her research integrates rigorous science, novel restoration approaches, community engagement and science communication to drive and realise large-scale conservation and restoration of marine habitats. She is a co-founder of Operation Crayweed and Operation Posidonia, two projects that have been effectively restoring missing seaweed forests and seagrass meadows over the last ten years. Operation Crayweed was awarded a Green Globe Award for ‘Environmental Research’ in 2017. She was awarded the UNSW Emerging Thought Leader Prize in 2019. She was awarded a PhD from the University of Barcelona in 2007 and has published over 90 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters.
This week’s sponsors:
Ausclimate’s highly recommended range of WINIX Air Purifiers is the ideal solution for cleaner, healthier indoor air. Easy to use, reactive features and settings with a truly comprehensive 4-5 stages of purification, including Hospital Grade True HEPA Filtration and Winix’s unique PlasmaWave® technology. Perfect for smoke, dust, pets, viruses, bacteria, household odours, and allergies (covering a variety of allergens). Breathe easier, sleep better and feel better. Winix; the most complete air-purifiers on the market!
Offer: Ausclimate is now giving all Low Tox Life followers an EXTRA 10% OFF their already discounted prices on Ausclimate.com.au – Simply enter the discount code of LOWTOXLIFE on check out via: https://www.ausclimate.com.au/
This discount can also be redeemed for over-the-phone orders verbally.
SOLIDTEKNICS™ exists to break this toxic and wasteful cycle! Their cookware is designed to be handed down through generations.
They offer a written multi-century warranty for all of our cookware. This is not a marketing gimmick, just solid engineering! They believe in buying once, and buying well. All of their pans are stamped with the month and year of manufacture.
Their proudest moments are when we hear about families planning to hand down their Solidteknics cookware to loved ones; starting an heirloom tradition that they hope will inspire future generations of loving cooks, who respect healthy and sustainable products.
Better for your health, better for the planet
It’s estimated that more than 1.2 million short-lived (disposable), non-stick pans end up in Australian landfills every year. Synthetic, polymer-based non-stick coatings are toxic in production, and toxic when heated due to the gas those coatings emit. Learn more about all that HERE.
Ultimately, when you purchase SOLIDTEKNICS™ products, you’re voting NO to synthetic, disposable pans piling up in landfill and harming our health, and YES to healthy, toxin-free, premium quality cooking tools. Built to last generations.
- 100% Australian made and owned – the only production cookware made in Australia
- Two ranges – iron, made from clean Australian iron, and a non-nickel stainless steel range, which work on all heat sources from induction, to oven to campfire!
- Built from a solid sheet – no clad layers or synthetic, toxic coatings.
- Iron cookware comes seasoned for you with real, natural seasoning so you can get cooking straight away!
- Built to outlive us and be passed down through generations. A one-time investment for many lifetimes of cooking.
Multi-century low tox cookware + utensils offer: Spend $279 or more on any of the items in the range and receive a FREE 18cm AUS-ION Pan worth just under $100. Offer runs until midnight Sunday 18 Dec. Code: LOWTOX