NEW PATREON SUPPORT PAGE – Yay! The Low Tox Club is BACK and here to stay (I had to take it off line 18 months ago when I got sick with the mould stuff), but it’s different: YOU decide how much you want to spend to be a part of it.
You can become a Low Tox Life club member on Patreon for as little as $4USD a month. We have some awesome extras planned for our Patreon supporters, but first up, we’re including a private Low Tox Life chat group – finally! As well as a little bonus chat my son had with last week’s guest, Tim Brooks of LEGO! You’ll be able to unlock these Patreon extras when you sign up HERE to become a Low Tox Life podcast “patron”. I’m really excited to see where this takes us all. We have MEGA plans x
I’ve been invited to create the first GOODNESSME BOX – LOW TOX BEAUTY BOX
The Beauty Box is their latest product sampling service designed to get you excited about low tox beauty products and personal care items. Every 3 months, they’ll surprise you with 7-10 beauty and personal care samples and products and you can cancel your subscription at any time. For the inaugural box, I’ve selected my all-time favourites including Dr Bronners Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap 50ml, Weleda Arnica Sports Shower Gel, Rosehip PLUS Australian Certified Organic Rosehip Oil, Black Chicken Remedies Cleanse My Face and 5 other samples from brands that are doing good by people and planet. The Low Tox Beauty Box is yours for $34.99 but you get $90 value out of this one. I hope you love it – OR it’d make a brilliant gift for a newbie friend for their birthday or just because…
A treat from this month’s show supporter…REPUBLICA ORGANIC
Australia’s #1 Organic Coffee Company – all products Australian Certified Organic and Fairtrade. Founded by Jacqueline Arias, former ABC journalist in 2007 with the goal to make ethically sourced coffee accessible and affordable for Australians. Republica Organic makes not only clean products – but is a clean brand. They are a BCorp certified company and have won many awards for their commitment to sustainability. Republica Coffee is roasted and packed in Sydney regularly, ensuring the coffee is fresh when it’s on the shelves (usually only 4-8 weeks only compared to many months) – if you grab a bag and smell the valve you can tell!
Receive 30% off your order with the code LOWTOX30. SHOP HERE
One lucky person could also win a year’s worth of Republica Organic coffee! To enter the draw, tell us in the comments box below why you’d love to win. The winner will be announced in June.
Now onto the show…
Ever been told, after getting a hormone test back – whether it was testosterone, oestrogen, thyroid hormones, cortisol or anything else, that everything’s ‘normal’ and ‘you’re fine?’ – yet you feel totally NOT FINE? In this week’s show I chat to the wonderful Dr Carrie Jones who makes the trickiest of hormone challenges (male or female) feel like a fun puzzle to get to the bottom of – and I’m serious. Imagine turning the talk of hormone woes on its head and making it instead an interesting fun thing to figure out – it was this attitude of Carrie’s from following her instagram feed and the generous sharing she does there, that said: I have to have her on the show and shake up the hormone conversation, that’s always such a Debbie downer!
Carrie is a Naturopathic Physician with a Master’s in Public Health having over 12 years in the field of functional and integrative medicine. As Adjunct Faculty for the National University of Natural Medicine (NUNM), she has taught courses in both Gynaecology and Advanced Endocrinology. She has been the Medical Director for two large integrative clinics in Portland, Oregon and is currently the Medical Director for Precision Analytical, Inc, creators of the most cutting edge hormone test on the market, the DUTCH Test. So, come and listen while Carrie and I discuss the ins and outs of testing, what our results can tell us, how she doesn’t believe in Adrenal Fatigue (yes, you heard me right there!) and what it means when your cortisone and cortisol are off kilter. It’s such a great chat, and I can’t wait to hear what you guys think. I love what the Dutch test can offer us, so I was super thrilled to have Carrie join me for a general in-depth hormone chat as well as a deeper look into the capability of the Dutch test.
Here’s a little snapshot of the juicy bits in today’s episode…
- The Dutch test is a urine test that provides a comprehensive picture of the state of adrenals and sex hormones. It is a helpful test when recurrent blood tests are showing no conclusive evidence of a hormonal imbalance but symptoms persist. Whether it is a struggle with recurrent migraines, infertility, persistent acne, peri-menopausal concerns, there is so much that can be revealed through this test when nothing else seems to help.
- Cortisol is what helps us handle stress, handle inflammation, helps our immune system and our blood sugar levels, but when we get too much of it, the body can de-activate it and turn into cortisone. If you get a test that shows low levels of cortisol, it may not necessarily mean you don’t make it, it might just mean you turn it all into cortisone. This process can be triggered by an acute illness or long-term stress. The Dutch test shows exactly how much of the cortisol gets turned into cortisone. As fatigue is the usually the biggest symptom in that case, people often get mis-diagnosed with chronic fatigue.
- Oestrogen is what helps your memory, contributes to bones health, helps with collagen production and more. Low oestrogen is a trigger for weight gain in many cases. The body needs oestrogen. When we have too much of it, oestrogen detoxification is an option: eating vegetables from the brassica family (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc.), choosing the right supplements and getting rid of environmental toxins that impact our oestrogen levels can help but we need to pay close attention not to overdo it as we can quickly become deficient.
- Dr Carrie Jones believes adrenal fatigue is a myth. The fatigue symptom is real, but it’s the brain that ‘s the conductor. The adrenals don’t make decisions, they do what they’re told and when they shut down, they were told to by the brain. Stress and anxiety are the main culprits. Finding ways to manage our stress response is essential: happy thoughts on a post-it note, a gratitude journal and generally becoming aware of what are stress triggers are and choosing to respond differently. Vitamin B, and C are great supplements to help support adrenals as well as herbs such as Tulsi and Ashwaganda.
- In order to have the healthiest hormones, pat a dog! Patting a friendly animal gets your oxytocin up and that works wonders for your hormones. Also get off your phone before bed, in order to help with your melatonin production and support your sleep and reproductive rhythms.
And here are a few extra important resources:
You can find out more about Dr Carrie Jones and the Dutch test HERE.
Follow Dr Carrie Jones on Instagram.
Have you heard yet? It’s available for pre order with fab bonus pre order goodies AND a brilliant discount across all retailers!
If you want to click through to iTunes from here to subscribe to the podcast and listen to this week’s show, and the episodes that have aired since our launch in July 2016, GO HERE
If you want to listen on your android, download Stitcher or click through HERE or you can buy the Pocket Cast App for Android.
If you want to listen on Spotify click through HERE.
Enjoy the show and thanks again for taking the time to rate and review the show on your app – it’s like tipping the bartender and it means the world.
Low Tox. Happy us. Happy planet