I love a good baked chicken dish. It’s so simple when you’ve been running around all day – You bung it all into the oven and off you go to do other things. This simple baked dinner with those delicious flavours of lemon, thyme, ginger and honey, give you something comforting yet exciting at the same time.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. We enjoyed it with sautéed black cabbage / cavolo nero and zucchini in butter, lemon and a sprinkle of sea salt. Simple. Divine.
A note on the chicken if you’re new to looking into what the best meat to buy is: When it comes to chicken, pasture raised, organic is the best option when possible. You’d be surprised how many ‘free range’ chooks are not only quite cooped up, but also fed GMO grains – yes, even in Australia. It’s of course not certain that ALL free range chicken are fed a mix of grains that contain GMO’s, but if you can’t speak to a farmer or butcher who know for certain, the ‘organic’ label will at least ensure non GMO grains in their feed mix. Won’t it be way more expensive? No. But you have to change the way you buy. If you used to buy ‘free range’ chicken breasts and start buying a whole organic chook or organic legs or wings instead… You’ll save money as it’s less per kilo AND you’ll have leftover bones for home made stock/broth which you can learn to make HERE. Winning! Make the switch for a healthier you and respect to animals during their lives as well as supporting non GMO agriculture (Waaaay less pesticide used in non GM and none used in organic) for a healthier planet – We are saving the world with our dinners. How cool is that!?
So, here it is…
The picture isn’t extraordinary but I knew you guys would love this recipe, so who’s got time for a re-shoot, right? The legs are perfect for lunch box leftovers the next day too and after that 45mins to an hour in the oven, the sauce is thick and luscious.
Enjoy and please show me your efforts over on instagram @lowtoxlife when you make it – you guys always make things way prettier than my quick, rustic efforts!
Real Food. Happy People
Simple Lemon, Thyme, Ginger and Honey Chicken Bake Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil or ghee
- 10 pcs chicken drumsticks (You can segment a chook too if you prefer to do ‘whole chook’)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp sea salt, sprinkled over the chicken legs
- 1 heaped tsp dried thyme or 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 heaped tsp onion powder
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- 1-2 tbsp honey or rice malt syrup if fructose-free / low fodmap ( 1 or 2 being to taste)
- 15-25 ml lemon juice (2-3 tbsp squeezed over the dish)
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F
- Get your big enamel / stainless pan or frying pan onto a medium heat and pop the olive oil or ghee into the pan
- Salt your chicken and drop the legs in
- Brown for a couple of minutes on both sides and then add all the other ingredients into the pan and ensure the legs have been turned through the liquid a couple of times to get it all mixed in.
- Bake on 180C for 45 minutes (1 hour if you don’t brown for the full 2 minutes a side)
- Take out of the oven and serve with veggies or whatever other accompaniment you fancy – my cauliflower purée would be delicious with these too!