It was raining and cold and I wanted to watch a movie. The reality was that today needed me to be a whole lot more get up and go. There’s something that a power packed smoothie can do to turn one’s mood around like no other food. Or at least, that’s the case for me. Something cooling, fresh and energising that makes me want to get out of the chair, rather than something warm and soothing that digs me further into said chair – possibly with a blanket! This is my go to smoothie for those times. Don’t panic if you don’t have every single thing. You can sub like for like sweetness / acidity ingredients for a delicious, balanced result regardless.
Real Food. Happy Bodies.
Super Hero Smoothie Recipe
- 1 small beetroot, peeled - 70g
- 1/2 Lebanese cucumber - 70g
- 1 handful fresh mint
- 1 handful fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 frozen banana (fresh is fine too though, I just like it for the temperature chilling)
- 2 strawberries (or 1/4 lemon. Just needs the acidity)
- 1/2 avocado
- 200 ml filtered water (or if you plan ahead, cooled peppermint tea is super delicious in this!)
- Chop the beetroot into a few chunks
- Toss all the ingredients into a very good quality blender / Thermomix and whiz it all about for 25-30 seconds on high (speed 8 for thermomix)
- Pour into the appropriate glass and drink up. Today, what felt appropriate was a limited edition super hero beer pilsner glass of my husband’s. Of course!
- Tip: If you’re new to veggie smoothies and cutting out excess sweetness, start this with a whole banana and over time reduce to a half. There’s nothing wrong with a banana, especially with the avocado in here to slow it’s deliciously sweet energy down!