You’re looking at your week. It’s a nightmare. This is a recipe that will take you less time to organise than the queue at the take away shop. Promise. It’s luscious, packed with nourishment and superfood goodness and it’s a completely no fuss style of soup. Sold? Well, here you go!
Red Lentil Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 cups red lentil
- 2 litres best chicken stock you can afford, or home made (veggie stock is fine too of course for vegetarians/ vegans)
- 1.25 kg sweet potatoes, rinsed Skin on for fibre & added nutes!
- 1 cm ginger (optional)
- 1 tsp Celtic sea salt / Himalayan pink salt (add more to taste)
- 2 sprigs thyme or rosemary (optional)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or rice malt syrup if you’re fructose free (optional)
Pop your lentils, if you can, into a bowl of filtered water in the morning before you head out the door, with a spoonful of natural yoghurt in it, to break down the enzyme inhibitors that exist in all legumes. If you’re not soaking, drop back to 1kg sweet potato, as the lentils will absorb the liquid more while cooking.
Then, that evening, rinse your lentils, then pop in a large pasta boiling-sized pot with all other ingredients. Bring to the boil and cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, with the lid on, so you don’t lose liquid to evaporation. You don’t need to watch it, stir it or look in its direction. Blitz with a stick blender & serve. Yep. That’s it. You can garnish with a thyme spring, some feta, croutons or fresh parsley if you like.
Real Food. Really Easy.