Ok. Totally incensed by the Australian Government and Kellogg’s declaring these Chocolate breakfast shakes a “green light for tuckshops / school canteens”. Outrageous.
You can see the facebook post I did on this here. 24.5g sugar and a whole host of other crazy processed ingredients, synthetic vitamins – you name it, this bad boy is exactly how NOT to start your day – child, you or anyone for that matter. So, because I’m a solution based kind of girl and couldn’t sleep having learnt of these vile food-like products’ existence, AND knowing there are loads of busy families who do find mornings challenging sometimes when both parents work, fussy eaters and yadda yadda… Here is a super speedy chocolate breakfast shake that is packed with awesomeness to start your day – little and big people alike. I’ve just recipe tested it and made it tonight off the back of my outrage, and I’m half way through it and starting to feel too full. So, you get the picture.
A filling breakfast, packed with nutrients to nourish the brain and whole body. If you fancy a delicious, malty chocolate drink to replace milo while we’re on the subject of healthier alternatives, have a look at this recipe here from my archives called “I can’t believe it’s not Milo”.
Share this with that one busy ‘up and go’ family you know. Inspire someone to make just one little change. You and I are the people who are going to make a difference. For some reason, tonight more than ever, I truly believe we are able to ‘shape the world with our shopping baskets and home efforts’.
Real Food. Happy Bodies.
Super Speedy Chocolate Breakfast Shake Recipe
- 1/2 cup frozen organic berries or 1/2 a frozen banana (can be fresh, but frozen gives it a nice thick and cold vibe that’s luscious. cut fresh and freeze in portions. )
- 1/2 tsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp honey, maple or rice syrup (you might need 2 teaspoons if you’re weaning a child used to sweeter drinks, so start there and gradually decrease sweetness)
- 150 ml your milk of choice Whole or nut milks are best and raw if you can get it, is tops!
- 1 pc pasture raised egg, whole (i feel comfortable with raw egg, knowing my farmer but I’m not recommending it to you. Use 1 heaped tbsp of a protein powder in place if you prefer)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional, but great for slowing the sugars down from banana / maple / honey during the morning)
- ‘power through a massive day' options - add a half avocado and a tablespoon of coconut oil, melted. You will not be hungry until 2pm. Guaranteed.
- Stick it all in a big jug and whiz it with a stick blender or dump it all in your vitamix / thermomix and do the same.